Qualifiers in the 90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifiers in the 90s

Hi there, i'm not sure in one(lot more than one haha) thing. Did all the qualifiers really take place in the summer/autumn those days? Cuetracker says that e.g. the 1992 Biritsh Open qualies were from the 2nd July until 5th September but the televised tournament was only in February. Is it true, can someone explain me how these events looked like back then? Thanks in advance.

Don't know about other tournaments or previous years but the 1997 - 99 World Championship qualifiers were held in Newport Wales between January and March of those years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997...r_Championship

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998...r_Championship

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999...r_Championship

Comment

During the late 80s and early 90s World Snooker decided to run the qualifiers of multiple events at the same place (often Norbreck Castle, Blackpool), one after the other, during the summer months, usually three events over 6 days. Usually two rounds (e.g. L128/L96) where held over two days.

Look - large hall, large number of cubicles, no audience.

As Trains has shown, World qualifiers were usually held elsewhere and different match format/layout due to the very large numbers in the initial rounds.

Finding the details of these events and their dates can be a pain
      Last edited by DeanH; 3 November 2023, 08:47 AM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

During the late 80s and early 90s World Snooker decided to run the qualifiers of multiple events at the same place (often Norbreck Castle, Blackpool), one after the other, during the summer months, usually three events over 6 days. Usually two rounds (e.g. L128/L96) where held over two days.

As Trains has shown, World qualifiers were usually held elsewhere and different match format/layout due to the very large numbers in the initial rounds.

No internet for me and most back then, all very obscure, i think a BBC snippet of Hendry losing to Marcus Campbell in a cubicle with the higher partitions then was the first concept of anything other than the tv stages then, for me at least.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
          No internet for me and most back then, all very obscure, i think a BBC snippet of Hendry losing to Marcus Campbell in a cubicle with the higher partitions then was the first concept of anything other than the tv stages then, for me at least.
          Sounds about right from the few images I have seen

The snooker publications at the time did list most of the dates, venues, etc and match results, often with only minimal detail.
          Some newspapers had some results and/or articles for their local players, so bit by bit you can get some semblance of an event's results

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Great. So let's say R1 and R2 in July, R3 and R4 in August and L128 and L96 in September. Thanks,

Comment

Originally Posted by Agoston958 View Post

Great. So let's say R1 and R2 in July, R3 and R4 in August and L128 and L96 in September. Thanks,
              for something like the World champs, yes, possible
              note, some years the World quals were split into different venues (for the same round)

Comment

Working...
              X