League game opposition interfere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League game opposition interfere

Recently reffereeing a league match consisting of for players, 4 single frames, however during the match a player went to pick up the white ball but was stopped by his team from doing so by shouting out to him, he thought the cue ball had gone down which was not the case, this saved him from giving the apponent 4 points and cost the other player the frame.
    Any one know the rule on this, I would say at the. Least should be a void frame or frame awarded to apponent.

I would handle this by the rules for "four-handed Snooker" and confering.
    Sec 3.18 Four-handed Snooker
    (e) Partners may confer or communicate during a frame but not while one is the striker and has approached the table until their turn has ended.

I understand that they are a team but nor necessarily partners at the table, but ectenral "coaching" is can be a foul. Even if you are fouling the person how actually not communicated anything but by their action they changed what they were originally was going to do.

Sec 4.1 Unsporting Conduct
    (a) (iii) any other conduct by a player which otherwise amounts to Unsporting Conduct;

Sec 3.11 Penatly Values
    (a) Value of the ball on by:
    (xii) conferring or communicating with a partner contrary to Section 3 Rule 18(e).
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I’ll ask a ref friend of mine. I seem to remember a similar thing happened in one of our league matches. Likewise we have a four man team who all play two frames. There’s always the non playing guys hanging around watching.

Comment

Maybe at the start of the evening, tell all involved that "coaching" is not allowed (when player is at the table) - conferring/consultation is allowed when away from the table and not their turn.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Maybe at the start of the evening, tell all involved that "coaching" is not allowed (when player is at the table) - conferring/consultation is allowed when away from the table and not their turn.
          In my league, for singles, coaching is not allowed whether at or away from table. In doubles players can discuss/confer up until a ball has been potted. No discussion allowed until the break has finished.

Comment

The answer I got was that the player at the table cannot be penalised for the actions of a player or person off the table. If there is a ref he should warn the miscreant. If that doesn’t work the incident should be reported to the league organisers. Different leagues may have different rules.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
              In my league, for singles, coaching is not allowed whether at or away from table. In doubles players can discuss/confer up until a ball has been potted. No discussion allowed until the break has finished.
              Agreed, if Singles them NO confering or communicating anything to their team member playing; at the table or not.
              Of course the above comments concerns a team of players, where confering can occur between the team players playing when not at the table. Other team members not actively playing in that match can not confer.

The answer I got was that the player at the table cannot be penalised for the actions of a player or person off the table. If there is a ref he should warn the miscreant. If that doesn’t work the incident should be reported to the league organisers. Different leagues may have different rules.
              The notes I have from SRA say that if it is a team member "coaching" and not taking heed of any warning, then the TEAM can be penalised, due to the team member away from the table when they call out. You penalise the Team, just like you would for normal fouls on the table.

SINGLES - when I have been refing and a team memner constantly was calling out, first I called their captain to sort out their team mate; it continued; I said this will be reported to the league committee; that team were docked points later on. which at the end of the season were critcal!
              Following season that particalur loud-mouth was conspicuous by their absence.
              Usually though a word from their captain is enough to shut them up.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Agreed, if Singles them NO confering or communicating anything to their team member playing; at the table or not.
                Of course the above comments concerns a team of players, where confering can occur between the team players playing when not at the table. Other team members not actively playing in that match can not confer.

The notes I have from SRA say that if it is a team member "coaching" and not taking heed of any warning, then the TEAM can be penalised, due to the team member away from the table when they call out. You penalise the Team, just like you would for normal fouls on the table.

SINGLES - when I have been refing and a team memner constantly was calling out, first I called their captain to sort out their team mate; it continued; I said this will be reported to the league committee; that team were docked points later on. which at the end of the season were critcal!
                Following season that particalur loud-mouth was conspicuous by their absence.
                Usually though a word from their captain is enough to shut them up.
                Would these SRA notes be shared around other areas of the UK? I’m thinking that these notes might not necessarily be followed by everyone. Maybe the coaching is not seen as a problem on some amateur circuits so no need for rules. I must make a few enquiries. I know one of the senior Scottish refs so I can pick his brains.

Comment

Would these SRA notes be shared around other areas of the UK? I’m thinking that these notes might not necessarily be followed by everyone. Maybe the coaching is not seen as a problem on some amateur circuits so no need for rules. I must make a few enquiries. I know one of the senior Scottish refs so I can pick his brains.
                  I don't know but they were available for a small price to anyone (hence I got several versions over the years) - unfortunately it appears these notes are no longer being updated

Comment

Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
                    Recently reffereeing a league match consisting of for players, 4 single frames, however during the match a player went to pick up the white ball but was stopped by his team from doing so by shouting out to him, he thought the cue ball had gone down which was not the case, this saved him from giving the apponent 4 points and cost the other player the frame.
                    Any one know the rule on this, I would say at the. Least should be a void frame or frame awarded to apponent.
                    Marvel. So.. therz nothing in the official rules of snooker which will help you with the issue. Best to contact the organisers of your league for guidance. It’s possible they don’t have a documented rule in place but maybe as a result of you raising the issue it will prompt them to issue some guidelines.
                    My own league has nothing in writing but everyone knows about the unwritten rule of no coaching.

Comment

Working...
                    X