Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul and Miss ?

This came up in a local match.

Couple of reds left on the table and the opponent has snookered you behind the green ( red is the ball on). You play the cue ball off the cushion towards the red but in doing so the cue touches the green, the cue ball goes on to make contact with the red.

Is it a "foul and a miss" or only a "Foul" ?

Foul and a miss.

Comment

Sorry to disagree with Nifty (not a usual occurance!) - just a Foul.

The attempt was "Fair" - as statedin the OP the cue ball did contact a ball on.
      A Miss is called if any ball on is NOT hit first by the cue ball.
      Last edited by DeanH; 28 December 2023, 11:05 AM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Ah thanks Dean. I didn’t read the post correctly. It’s the CUE that hits the green and not the CUE BALL. Subtle difference. Reading it properly this time I would probably have still answered foul and a miss so thanks for clarification. Good question. There’s always something in the rules which catches me out.

Comment

thanks! is there any relevant rule section I can refer to. This caused quite a lot of debate and if I can show proof it would put this to rest in the local club.

Comment

Originally Posted by cpserrao View Post
            thanks! is there any relevant rule section I can refer to. This caused quite a lot of debate and if I can show proof it would put this to rest in the local club.
            The first line of the Foul and a Miss rule:

Sec 3.14 Foul and a Miss
            (a) The striker shall, to the best of their ability, endeavour to hit the ball on or a ball that could be on after a Red, or a free ball nominated as a Red, has been potted. ...

In your OP you state the cue ball did hit the ball on (Red) therefore no Miss, only a Foul for the cue hitting the Green.

Comment

In this scenario, it would likely be considered a "foul and a miss." While attempting to hit the red, if the cue ball contacts another ball first, such as the green, without making contact with the red, it's typically ruled a "foul and a miss" unless the referee deems it as a reasonable attempt.

Comment

Originally Posted by oliverhen View Post
                In this scenario, it would likely be considered a "foul and a miss." While attempting to hit the red, if the cue ball contacts another ball first, such as the green, without making contact with the red, it's typically ruled a "foul and a miss" unless the referee deems it as a reasonable attempt.
                Sorry but not correct - the scenario is that the cue ball hits the ball on (Red) but the CUE touches the Green ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Sorry but not correct - the scenario is that the cue ball hits the ball on (Red) but the CUE touches the Green ball.
                  Pretty sure these are just AI and generated posts
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

I thought the same from the various posts last few days. Almost every post from the user is incorrect and written in an unusual way.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

yep I thought so after posting and seeing the other posts.
                      Will deal with now.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X