Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery+

Hello chaps,

I can now get Discovery+ on my TV and have started watching some of the current qualifying matches. Are there no commentators for any of the matches or do they just commentate on the odd match here and there. If they do, how can you tell which ones carry commentaries?

Anyone know?

Same on Eurosport which is the same parent company as Discovery+, normally no commentary on the qualifiers. On the TV app if you pause the picture on Eurosport, a box pops up at the bottom with the play controls. At the left hand end there is what looks like a 'Comment' icon. Click on that and it gives you the option of Ambient Sound or various languages. I sometimes find that it has defaulted to Ambient and have to click on EN to listen. If that icon isn't there then I don't think there is any commentary.
    On the web or on the tablet app there is a Globe icon that pops up on the screen with the same options.

Screenshot (154) by BTP, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

BTP
    Last edited by Beertrix Potter; 23 January 2024, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Thank you, much appreciated. I'm not a fan of commentators and pundits, especially those on football but, it seems too quiet without any on the snooker.

Comment

I love it without the non stop opinions and shyte they sout

Comment

Totally agree with the above about commentary, it's become like verbal diahorea. Say crap because they feel the need to say more because they're paid. Also think it's fits many of the resident said commentators who like the sound of their own voice too much!

For me Phil Yates, Dave Hendon, Phil Studd, babble on too much about stats they drool over and stuff they repeat over and over. First time round some of the stuff was interesting but if you watch a lot, it gets boring. Commentary used to be about the game being played with the odd interesting anecdote. Churning the the same old bile out over an again is not doing them any justice or the viewers (US) more importantly.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I agree... there is nothing worse than trying to watch a match with someone banging on and on in your ear. We all know how the game is played and all we want is the peace and quiet to watch a match unfold as it plays, not as someone else tries to guess it. Some times we have to listen to people that we know and would not invite into our living room, but there they are.

I have made complaints in the past and our association justifies the diatribe as being useful to those learning the game. But what about everyone else who has to turn sound off just for peace of mind.

The worst case scenario is having to listen to someone cheering one player on or clapping the table in favor of one player. Why are those people even allowed near a mike?

I have in the past suggested that they use left speaker for table mike and right speaker for the clown on the mike. Then at least we can turn right speaker down to hear the click of the balls.

Comment

Originally Posted by WilliamKent View Post
              I agree... there is nothing worse than trying to watch a match with someone banging on and on in your ear. We all know how the game is played and all we want is the peace and quiet to watch a match unfold as it plays, not as someone else tries to guess it. Some times we have to listen to people that we know and would not invite into our living room, but there they are.

I have made complaints in the past and our association justifies the diatribe as being useful to those learning the game. But what about everyone else who has to turn sound off just for peace of mind.

The worst case scenario is having to listen to someone cheering one player on or clapping the table in favor of one player. Why are those people even allowed near a mike?

I have in the past suggested that they use left speaker for table mike and right speaker for the clown on the mike. Then at least we can turn right speaker down to hear the click of the balls.
              great idea

Comment

One of my best moments was watching Mark Williams live last year at the British Open, I had no earpiece as I don't like them and 11 reds into a Max chance I didn't even realise he was on a 147! I was just enjoying the shots per shot choices he was making and taking. He went on to make the max perfectly and is was brilliant.

My ending thought was how glad I was for once in so many years, that a commentator hadn't mentioned a max was possible....when he was on 24..... 🙄
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Have to agree that a lot of the modern day commentators need a lesson in the value of silence.

Comment

I started to watched the World Under 21 but the commentary was obnoxious and unnecessary. Ruined what could have been good viewing... good lighting, good camera angle, quality picture, and then they let a noisy rodent gnaw on every one's ear the whole time.

Comment

Originally Posted by WilliamKent View Post
                      I started to watched the World Under 21 but the commentary was obnoxious and unnecessary. Ruined what could have been good viewing... good lighting, good camera angle, quality picture, and then they let a noisy rodent gnaw on every one's ear the whole time.
                      lol yep same here, watched on silent
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

lol yep same here, watched on silent
                        So did I, good match apart from the final frame.
                        What I hate about the audience ear piece is that they don't applaud a subltey good shot unless the commentators point out that it was a harder shot than it looked
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                        X