Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement SD joints (cue craft rubbish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement SD joints (cue craft rubbish)

Hi all,

Wondering how hard or expensive it is to replace SD joints on a 3/4 joint cue craft eagle.

the cue was my grandads so has a lot of sentimental value, but the joints dont line up properly (.75mm overhang) and the grain doesn't match by half a turn.

I wouldn't slate a manufacturer, but I have a Cue Craft Marksman and the joint (a quick turn dot to dot) is equally dreadful. Obviously attention to detail and quality isn't/wasn't high on the agenda in worksop.

Thinking of asking Tony Glover to replace and line up the grain properly but wondered how big a job to do.

Many thanks

It's not a difficult job, the joints need to be heated to melt the epoxy resin glue so that they can be removed from the wood, then the joints and holes in the shaft and butt need to be cleaned of any old glue, glue doesn't stick to glue, and then the two halves of the joint need to be screwed together, with the same force used to screw the cue together, with a couple of pairs of grips holding the threaded ends that go into the wood and then glued back in the cue.
    Excess glue removed with a cloth dampened in IPA or white spirit, and held straight in a jig or lathe with the grain matching while the glue sets.
    The joint needs to be screwed together using a pair of grips because if it's only joined hand tight then the act of screwing the cue together will means the cue will turn a little bit more which makes the grain not match up.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Many thanks mate, taking it to pro to sort.

Comment

Working...
      X