Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to choose a cue

Hi,

I notice some other threads about cues, but none seem to really apply to me.

I've played snooker for about 5 years, on and off. Probably only 10 hours a month for about 6 months of each year so not all that much.

I've got a bit more time on my hands in the next few years so I'd really like to play a lot more. However I'm not sure where to start when it comes to purchasing my own cue. I've read up on brands, that's not really the issue. I'm more concerned by tip size, weight, length. How do I know what's best for me? Where can I go to test out many different types of cues? I play at my local Rileys and have no access to any other tables but theirs.

Thanks,

Andrew

Salut M.Andy!

I would say that you should play with as many cue you can at your local club, testing the lighters 17oz then 19oz ones... same for the lenght, etc.
    After playing for more than 35 years now, I can tell that I know what I am looking for and this is due to my experience playing. I would never play with a cue lighter than 18oz...., never with a cue longer than 58" and with a tip wider than 10mm for snooker.
    Check for the best setup, the one you feel the best with and its for you!

Hope it helps.

"OO"

Comment

Originally Posted by OO
      Salut M.Andy!

I would say that you should play with as many cue you can at your local club, testing the lighters 17oz then 19oz ones... same for the lenght, etc.
      After playing for more than 35 years now, I can tell that I know what I am looking for and this is due to my experience playing. I would never play with a cue lighter than 18oz...., never with a cue longer than 58" and with a tip wider than 10mm for snooker.
      Check for the best setup, the one you feel the best with and its for you!

Hope it helps.

"OO"
      Well this is the problem, the club only have one type of cue on the racks... how do I go about getting the experience with different cue setups? Are their any common setups?

Thanks for your reply!

Andrew

Comment

There isn't really a set rule regarding cue dimensions, that's why there is so much choice on offer. Where abouts are you based and can you travel? If so I'm sure there are a few places around the country where you can try out cues on a table and pick one out you like the feel of.
        I go along with what OO said, on average most cues are either 57-58" in length, weight range 17-19 oz is about right for snooker and tip size 9-10mm, 9.5mm is most popular it seems. If you get a decent well made cue within these parameters the rest is down to practice and getting used to it.

Comment

I'll add the size of the butt matters about how you feel the cue when playing... I like smaller butt...

"OO"

Comment

Thanks! I live in the Reading area, are there any places to try a variety of cues near by?

So if I got a medium butt, 9.5mm tip and 18oz cue I'd probably be ok?

Andrew

Comment

Well I'm not too sure about the Reading area but if any other members know any local places at least they can give you some idea where to go. I would say those sizes are pretty much as standard as you can get and you should be OK with that.
              The butt diameter is what they mean by butt size, the thickness right at the end of the cue where you grip it. Average size is around 29.5mm-30mm. It doesn't sound like much but 1mm can make a big difference, again though, the standard size is fine for most players. All depends whether you have very large or small hands you may consider a size outside this.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
                The butt diameter is what they mean by butt size, the thickness right at the end of the cue where you grip it. Average size is around 29.5mm-30mm. It doesn't sound like much but 1mm can make a big difference, again though, the standard size is fine for most players. All depends whether you have very large or small hands you may consider a size outside this.
                I was making that point because maybe it's not sounding very "obvious" but the "butt" diameter is really important. I remember when I started playing snook, the table went with one piece cues (old stuff from the previous owner) and I learned playing the game with these. They were all Brunswick Cue Club style... Some had a very "huge" butt and tip (12mm??), ONE had a small tip (10mm?) and a butt that was "smooth and slick", funny to get by the tips of my fingers.... There I learned it was very important to feel the butt.....

"OO"

Comment

Working...
                X