Ronnie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie ?

They say over coaching can kill the talent and i belive Ronnie has done this.
    Over the past 6-7 years he has tried everyone to try and fine something that in my veiw is not there. Given his time with Ray Reardon his game improved in the safty department that he was the finished player... but given his lack of form from then on he has struggled somewhat.
    Whats your views ?

He has been the best player in the world over the last five years and has had consistency he never had before. One loss - Aside from the first session (which was level) it was a game where he played quite well. He came up against a better opponent today and that's what happens sometimes.

Having said the above, he is getting on a bit now and is past his best - he still has plenty of good days, but they will become fewer over the next few years.

Comment

I believe its all in his mind, after the match he said he had nothing left to prove, if he thinks like this he will not put everything into his snooker whereas up and coming players in this case Allen will do everything they can. The reason he isn't playing as well as he can is that he isn't trying to his full ability. I doubt coaching would affect someone with his amount of talent and experience either that positively or for the worse.
      -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

he needs reardon back again or hopefully his dad will sort his head out.

Comment

or maybe a kick in the B$lls,

Comment

Originally Posted by platt View Post
            or maybe a kick in the B$lls,
            i second that

Comment

Originally Posted by brettski View Post
              I believe its all in his mind, after the match he said he had nothing left to prove, if he thinks like this he will not put everything into his snooker whereas up and coming players in this case Allen will do everything they can. The reason he isn't playing as well as he can is that he isn't trying to his full ability. I doubt coaching would affect someone with his amount of talent and experience either that positively or for the worse.
              I don't think there is much to that statement than an attempt to cope with disapointment and be positive. I'm certain he tried all he could here. It just didnt get well enough to counter Allen's excellent game.
              Ronnie's been struggling with his game and his consistency all season and has assessed the situation over and over in post-matches.

Originally Posted by Mal View Post
              He has been the best player in the world over the last five years and has had consistency he never had before. One loss - Aside from the first session (which was level) it was a game where he played quite well. He came up against a better opponent today and that's what happens sometimes.

Having said the above, he is getting on a bit now and is past his best - he still has plenty of good days, but they will become fewer over the next few years.
              And I second this Mal. He's always very hard on himself. He wasn't at his best but he certainly wasn't at his worse.

and aside that ... I quite admire the sportmanship of the "non Ronnie fans" on this thread (and other threads). Sure we need lessons from you guys!
              Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
              http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                and aside that ... I quite admire the sportmanship of the "non Ronnie fans" on this thread (and other threads). Sure we need lessons from you guys!
                well...i'm Ronnie's big fan. but seriously, no matter what you think of me, I wanted him to lose this one, he's become too full of himself

Comment

Yes, as I said above, Ronnie still has many good days left and I am sure he'll still be no.1 this time next year, but it will get tougher and probably closer. (I hope hendry has a few good days left as well. )

But if Allen can build on this, Maguire, Murphy and Selby can push on, we will soon have real challengers for Ronnie's no.1 spot.
                  It is only one match - so for Mark, he needs to push on, just like Stephen who played very well yesterday - he needs to prove in next match that it wasn't just a one off blast from the past.

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                    I don't think there is much to that statement than an attempt to cope with disapointment and be positive. I'm certain he tried all he could here. It just didnt get well enough to counter Allen's excellent game.
                    To be honest with you I was rooting for Allen as he played better and deserved it, but you are right his statement probably came from dissapointment and will probably change in the coming days. The better player won and its nice to see a young star doing so well.
                    -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Listening to his post match views Ronnie just seems to me to be full of excuses rather than to be honest with himself and admit he couldn't cope under the pressure Allen put him under. We've all seen it many times before that when someone outplays Ronnie he struggles to counter it. Whether you outplay him in safety, slow the game down or to a lesser extent pot him off the table as Allen did today, Ronnie struggles with his game.

Its easy to blame your form or say you weren't up for it or that you don't enjoy the game, its a lot harder to complement someone for playing better than you did and just accept it.
                      Ronnie is very bitter at times and tbh its about time he grew up and stopped with the childish attitude everytime things don't go his way. He comes across like this in every post match interview when he's lost, says he couldn't be bothered, snooker isn't all that, I should have retired a few years ago etc etc. Sadly he'll never change and whilst his attitude is like this he'll never really get what he wants out of the game as he's not got the right mental aptitude to play it.

Comment

Ronnie didn't say he wasn't up for it, he didn't say he doesn't enjoy the game, neither. He said he was poor. He certainly was in his own eyes. He's always been a perfectionist.

He also said "He played brilliantly - if he keeps on playing like that he's got a great chance of winning the tournament". So, he did congratulate Allen at the end of the match, and praised him in post-match.

So stop making things up just for the sake of rubbishing him. You dislike him, fair enough ... but what you state is simply untrue.
                        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Heres the post match interview after the match from both players:

http://i50.tinypic.com/oi62rr.jpg
                          "Ronnie is very special. He's a genius - snooker's equivalent of Mozart." Ebdon

http://u.youku.com/user_show/uid_snookerfan92

Comment

Ronnie didn't seem to be enjoying playing this week, just watch the post match interview after the match from both players:

http://i50.tinypic.com/oi62rr.jpg
                            "Ronnie is very special. He's a genius - snooker's equivalent of Mozart." Ebdon

http://u.youku.com/user_show/uid_snookerfan92

Comment

It is very rare that you say a player lose and say they played really well! I see the points made about Ronnie and I am not defending him, but if you have such high standards (like the maestro!) then when you don't reach them, every mistake made throughout the match is highlighted. If Allen had not capitalised on those mistakes (like Perry in PL and Selby in final earlier this year) they would not be remembered so much. I thought Ronnie interview was fine - when Hendry gets beat, it is often quite similar in that he will state his disappoint in his performance, but commend his opponent when appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                              X