Purchasing a full size table in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a full size table in the UK

This is my first posting.... other than the introduction I just posted on the Newbies forum. As I said in my introduction, in the near future, I'm intending to purchase a full size snooker table in the UK, for installation in my home in california. Originally I had the Riley Aristocrat in mind, (not the tournement version), but given the current economic situation, I am lowering my sights considerably. From my online research, I think I have narrowered it down to the Riley Renaissance, or the Titan Corinthian, (either with or without steel block cushions). I would welcome discussion and opinions as to the relative merits of these two tables, and in the case of the Corintian, whether or not the additional expense for the steel bolcks is worth it. I'm also open to suggestions for other models that might be equal to, or better than these, but still in the same price range.

I should explain, that I have not played in many years, and was only a local snooker hall player when I did. But it has been my dream to have a table, and now that I'm retired, I intend to spend a good portion of my time around the table. I have a lot of retired friends and I envisige this table getting a lot of almostdaily use over the next 20 years or so, (hopefully). Therefore I'm looking for the best table I can find in my price range. I will have other questions about where to purchase, and shipping, but for first I want to make a decision as to which model I want.

I look forward to any and all comments,
    Kevin.

You could try to use the search button and type in the tables you are interested in and see what comes up.

Good luck in your search.

bongo

Comment

Aristocrat or what?

What table you want all depends on what budget that you have at your disposal.

If you were to post what you intend to spend (roughly) it would then generate talk on this thread on what type of table you would be able to purchase etc.

I hope this helps....:snooker:

Comment

I find it strange when I see people buying new tables when the best table ever made was a Burroughes and Watts steel block from many years ago. They can be had on Ebay for three figures and then re blocked ,rubbered and covered and for less than £2000,then you have an antique table which will be a joy to play on ,look at and will last longer than you.
        Regards Roy Bacon

Comment

that is so true roy a working mens club where i was a member refurbished and wanted to get rid of the 2 tables, and you know what they couldn't sell them for anything any way bobby george the dart player took them for free

Comment

Originally Posted by roykay View Post
            I find it strange when I see people buying new tables when the best table ever made was a Burroughes and Watts steel block from many years ago. They can be had on Ebay for three figures and then re blocked ,rubbered and covered and for less than £2000,then you have an antique table which will be a joy to play on ,look at and will last longer than you.
            Regards Roy Bacon
            Roy has made a good point there. The most important parts of a table are the cushions, cloth, balls and the fact that the table is level. You could get an old table wooden frame providing that it is of reasonable quality and get it fitted so the table is level. You could even finish it nicely with wood polish and clean up the frame. Then get really good cloth, cushions, balls, and make sure the table is nice and level. Then you should have a really nice table. Wouldn't you rather have lovely table cloth and cushions and a really true table than a brand new frame but not being able to get the best cloth or cushions? As Roy said, you could get a really nice Burroughs and Watts which are old classics for quite a cheap price. Snooker tables and all that goes with it will never be cheap, but it's possible to save a good amount of money and you can get a fitter to install the table.

Comment

Thanks for the posts re; refurbishing a B&W table. I had been aware that used tables were available cheaply in the UK, and if I lived there, I would certainly have been checking that out. However I had figured that living where I do, it would just be easiest to buy new, from a dealer who could also arrange crating and shipping.

I had looked on Ebay several times, and found nothing, but had not realized until today that there is a separate UK Ebay. I've just now looked there, and found several full size tables that are going for next to nothing. However the B&W tables that are currently listed, are in the 3,000+ pound range, though some are still in my current price range of 3-4k pds. There are a couple listed by a company called 'Sovereign Leisure' for 3,200 and 3,500 pds. The listing for the higher priced one says 'steel block cushions', but the other doesn't mention them. 'Sovereign Leisure' says that it is a company that evolved out of the demise of Riley Leisure, and that they refurbish the tables to a very high standard. Perhaps this is the way I should go. Having the table fully refurbished in the UK rather than here, would be best, as I am having trouble locating an experienced mechanic to install it, let alone completely refurbish it.

Anyway, thanks for the posts. They have given me a new direction to look, and I would welcome comments on whether pursuing a B&W table from 'Sovereign Leisure' might be the best route for me to take.

Thanks,
              Kevin

Comment

Hello,if you would like to e mail me I could give you the details of the best fitter I have ever known in 40 years. He also might be able to advise or even supply you with a table.
                Regards Roy Bacon
                E mail;
                geoffreybacon@btinternet.com

Comment

Hi

If you send me a private message with your e-mail address, I have a 1925 Burroughes and Watt table. Large 9 inch turned and fluted legs with decorative scrollwork on the frame. Steel block cushions fitted with new blocks and rubbers. Immaculate condition having been recently restored to its former glory. I have extensive experience shipping tables Worldwide.

Comment

I have forwarded info of yopur post to Kavin in the USA.

Comment

Originally Posted by tivoli147 View Post
                      Hi

If you send me a private message with your e-mail address, I have a 1925 Burroughes and Watt table. Large 9 inch turned and fluted legs with decorative scrollwork on the frame. Steel block cushions fitted with new blocks and rubbers. Immaculate condition having been recently restored to its former glory. I have extensive experience shipping tables Worldwide.
                      Unfortunately, I'm new here, and haven't earned the right to PM, but I can be reached at duguy48@sonic.net.

Look forward to hearing from you!
                      Kevin

Comment

See us roys are very friendly its all in the name

Good luck with your search I can only dream that one day ill have one too
                        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Well said Roy,allways ready to help.
                          Roy

Comment

Thank to those who posted in this thread, making me aware of the market in the UK for top quality refurbished tables. Today, I have agreed to purchase a refurbished Westbury table, that appears to be in excellent condition, and will cost considerably less than the lesser quality tables I had been considering. The West Coast of the US is the Siberia of snooker, and without your postings, I may never have become aware of what seems to be an oversupply of older, but top quality tables in the UK.

Thanks again.
                            Kevin

Comment

Well done on purchasing your table and I am sure you will have many happy hours of snooker on there.

Comment

Working...
                              X