Unusual foul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual foul

Last night we were playing a four hand, i'd potted a red and then played a long blue into the yellow pocket, the blue rattled and went along the side cushion and eventually dropped into the pocket. The white had ended up tight behind the yellow, my mate who had been talking hadn't noticed the blue slowly going towards the pocket, walked to the table and hit the cueball and scattered the reds. I know it's a foul, but whose turn was it next? I was told it was my partners turn but I was adamant it was still me to go.
    #jeSuisByrom

First of all when you say mate (my mate who had been talking ) do you mean your partner or your opponent?..i presume opponent so here is my view

If a person fouls its then the opponents decision to either play the shot in order of who's go it was or make them go again and then its the order of play again.

It wasn't your go it was your partners decision to play or make them go again, you had your go greedy ..........well thats how i see it lol
    Last edited by MasterBreak147; 17 July 2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Yes, I meant one of the opposition.
      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Taken from world snooker rules

(a) The order of play thus determined must remain unaltered throughout the frame, except a player may be asked by the next player to play again after any foul.
        Mode of play: http://www.worldsnooker.com/rules_of_snooker.htm

Hope that helps

Comment

Well, you didn't leave the table because you meant the blue might be potted. As long as the blue didn't stop, you still were the Striker, fredkite.
          So your opponents act wasn't really a foul.

But i can't really see if the blue dropped in or not from your post.

If it did not drop:
          Fredkite, a referee would have awarded you 5 points as penalty and replaced reds and cue ball. (no need to do anything with the blue, because it wasn't disturbed) Then it was your opponents turn, because your break ended.

If it did drop in:
          I would visceraly say, (let the blue go in,) penalty 5 points, replace reds and cueball and it's your turn to continue your break with reds ON. But this might be a bit controversial.

Comment

Originally Posted by glove147 View Post
            Well, you didn't leave the table because you meant the blue might be potted. As long as the blue didn't stop, you still were the Striker, fredkite.
            So your opponents act wasn't really a foul.

But i can't really see if the blue dropped in or not from your post.

If it did not drop:
            Fredkite, a referee would have awarded you 5 points as penalty and replaced reds and cue ball. (no need to do anything with the blue, because it wasn't disturbed) Then it was your opponents turn, because your break ended.

If it did drop in:
            I would visceraly say, (let the blue go in,) penalty 5 points, replace reds and cueball and it's your turn to continue your break with reds ON. But this might be a bit controversial.
            I'm pretty sure the blue DID drop in, in this instance. So, as you say, it was not a foul because it was not made by the striker.

This would come under the Rule 'Balls moved by other than striker'. The balls would simply be replaced to their original position and the striker, who potted the blue to make the break 6, will be allowed to continue the break as he would have done had the disturbance not occurred.

(If it was the striker's partner, rather than opponent, who did it, then it would be a foul for playing out of turn.)

Comment

Hmm, not sure about that last statement Statman.
              A foul cannot be commited by a non-striker apart from the 2 situations allowed for in the Rules (i.e during consultation about replacing balls after a foul, or moving a ball marker). I am not convinced that a players partner can foul any easier than an opponent. The striker is the person who is at the table, not the team who are at the table. Only 1 person can be the striker.
              I would stop play, replace all balls and suggest to the offending player that he may want to keep an eye on the game in hand. Further misconduct would be dealt with more harshly.
              Some days I'm the statue.
              Some days I'm the pigeon.
              Today is a statue kind of day.

Comment

Originally Posted by APK View Post
                Hmm, not sure about that last statement Statman.
                A foul cannot be commited by a non-striker apart from the 2 situations allowed for in the Rules (i.e during consultation about replacing balls after a foul, or moving a ball marker). I am not convinced that a players partner can foul any easier than an opponent. The striker is the person who is at the table, not the team who are at the table. Only 1 person can be the striker.
                I would stop play, replace all balls and suggest to the offending player that he may want to keep an eye on the game in hand. Further misconduct would be dealt with more harshly.
                Well Section 3 Rule 15 (Ball moved other than striker) states:

"If a ball, stationary or moving, is disturbed other than by the striker, it shall be re-positioned by the referee to the place he judges the ball was, or would have finished, without penalty.
                (a) This Rule shall include cases where another occurrence or person, other than the striker’s partner, causes the striker to move a ball. ..."

This to me makes plain that the striker's partner MUST be considered as an extension of the striker, so to speak, and thus has to be fouled.

Comment

Ah the wonders of a photgraphic memory (or a copy of the Rules to hand).
                  I bow to thee oh Oracle.

For the uninitiated...........Oh I see. Yes I agree.
                  Some days I'm the statue.
                  Some days I'm the pigeon.
                  Today is a statue kind of day.

Comment

Working...
                  X