Strange foul. Respot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange foul. Respot Question

Last week the following happened and we were unsure of what to do.

Please take a look at the pic.
    Attached Files

pink then black i would say the other way round don't seem correct to me.

Comment

Originally Posted by MasterBreak147 View Post
      pink then black i would say the other way round don't seem correct to me.
      I thought the same but a referee told me black then pink suppose its decided on which ball takes priority or maybe down to potting order? hmmm...

Comment

Yes thats correct i just read this from the rules

7. Spotting Colours

(e) If there is more than one colour to be spotted and their own spots are occupied, the highest value ball shall take precedence in order of spotting.
        Nice question tho

Comment

Thanks mate.

Comment

Your welcome, It had me fooled

Comment

which section and part of the rules is it in?

Comment

Originally Posted by andyt1992 View Post
                which section and part of the rules is it in?
                As my quote says above mate section7 halfway down http://www.worldsnooker.com/rules_of_snooker.htm

kev

Comment

Yes. Firstly, all balls that do have their own spot available are placed first (not applicable in this example).

Then, if you still have more than one ball to be spotted, higher value colour takes priority.

Comment

Sorry, think I just wanna make it clear with a concrete answer for all to get it, as people in other regions may not understand english that well to interpret the rules as clearly as others do.

So the answer will be to (1st step) re-spot the black closest to its own spot, before (2nd step) respotting the pink nearest to black from top cushion up towards reds, which means the pink will be to the left of the black as shown in the diagram from andyt1992.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.
                    John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

Just to clarify what has been said in a couple of the posts... when a ball has to be respotted and its own and all other spots are occupied, it *doesn't* simply go 'as near to its own spot as possible' - there is a further condition, that it must be "as near to its own spot as possible on the centre line of the table below the spot" - ie nearest to the black end of the table.

In the OP's situation the pink could be placed very near to its own spot if it was simply placed 'as near as possible' but instead ends up on the far side of the black!

Comment

Yes. If more than one colour needs spotting after a stroke, the following is what should happen:

If any colour (that needs spotting) CAN be put on ITS OWN spot, then that's where it goes.

THEN, if more than one colour still needs spotting, and none of them will go on its own spot, then you START with the HIGHEST value ball.

So let's say blue and green spots are available, and you have just knocked in the BLUE, YELLOW and PINK.

Firstly, we can do the blue quite simply because it can go on its own spot.

Secondly, we start with the highest valued ball – the pink – so that goes on the 'highest available spot' which in this case is the green spot.

Thirdly, we spot the last remaining ball, the yellow, and that ball goes as close to its spot as possible, in a direct line towards the top cushion.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                          Just to clarify what has been said in a couple of the posts... when a ball has to be respotted and its own and all other spots are occupied, it *doesn't* simply go 'as near to its own spot as possible' - there is a further condition, that it must be "as near to its own spot as possible on the centre line of the table below the spot" - ie nearest to the black end of the table.

In the OP's situation the pink could be placed very near to its own spot if it was simply placed 'as near as possible' but instead ends up on the far side of the black!
                          The rule is not worded "on the centre line" of the table because it also has to allow for the yellow and green which, of course, are not on the centre line of the table. But you are right in essence that it goes as close as possible above the spot, i.e. towards the black end.

Comment

But just so everyone's clear, the black will go first in a straight line behind it's own spot in the middle of the table but not touching the red occupying the spot. Then the pink will be spotted directly behind the black, but not touching it, on the centre-line of the table.

Both black and pink shoould be spotted as close as possible to the next ball but without touching them.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Yes, sorry I quoted from the wrong sub-section, which deals with the case when the pink or black can't be spotted on their own spots and there is no space to spot them between their own spot and the top cushion... in which case they *will* be spotted on the blue side of the pink, on the centre line of the table!

Comment

Working...
                              X