Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-spotting Blue and Pink (both went in!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-spotting Blue and Pink (both went in!)

Hi guys, need some advice on rules, here's what happened in a frame last night:

My friend was on a colour and nominated the blue, potted it, and incidently cannoned on a pink and potted it as well, so a foul 6.

Problem is in re-spotting - pink spot was covered with a red, blue spot and brown spot available. Should the blue go on its spot and the pink on brown spot? Or pink on blue and blue on brown?

We both agreed it should be blue back on its spot and pink on brown as blue was the colour on. What if the same situation occurs but instead of nominating the blue my friend goes for pink and pot both blue and pink?
    Are we right in the first place
    John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Read what statman says here its the same thing http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=18793

Edit: your blue spot was available for the blue to be spotted so you did have it correct sorry i should have read it closer i thought blue was occupied like the pink.

blue go on its spot and the pink on brown spot?
    Last edited by MasterBreak147; 25 July 2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

So meaning the pink will go on blue spot and the blue on brown spot, no matter which colour is "on"? That's how i interpret it - The colour with the higher value should take precedence.

That means me and my friend got it wrong last night
      John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

No, you and your friend got it right.

Comment

when respotting the blue spot was available therefore blue goes on the blue spot the clue is there lol

therefore the pink goes on the highest available spot......if no spot available the pink goes as near to it own spot in a direct line between it spot and the top cush.

simplesssssssssssssss

Comment

thanks guys, got this situation cleared up, my local forum has concurred with the same application of the rules. It doesn't matter which colour is on, the same applies if both colours went in. Ball back to own spot if available, if not then higher point ball takes precedence in re-spotting.

Another thing learnt in Snooker365 (erm 365 and a quarter to be exact)

So to reinforce this concept/rule, let's say if both blue and pink are potted, but their own spots are covered and only brown spot and yellow spot are available, we will spot the pink first (precedence) and put it on brown spot, then the blue goes on yellow... Correct people?
            John Lim

Comment

Originally Posted by renniwevarb View Post
              thanks guys, got this situation cleared up, my local forum has concurred with the same application of the rules. It doesn't matter which colour is on, the same applies if both colours went in. Ball back to own spot if available, if not then higher point ball takes precedence in re-spotting.

Another thing learnt in Snooker365 (erm 365 and a quarter to be exact)

So to reinforce this concept/rule, let's say if both blue and pink are potted, but their own spots are covered and only brown spot and yellow spot are available, we will spot the pink first (precedence) and put it on brown spot, then the blue goes on yellow... Correct people?
              correct

Comment

Hi guys, need some advice on rules, here's what happened in a frame last night:

My friend was on a colour and nominated the blue, potted it, and incidently cannoned on a pink and potted it as well, so a foul 6.

Problem is in re-spotting - pink spot was covered with a red, blue spot and brown spot available. Should the blue go on its spot and the pink on brown spot? Or pink on blue and blue on brown?

We both agreed it should be blue back on its spot and pink on brown as blue was the colour on. What if the same situation occurs but instead of nominating the blue my friend goes for pink and pot both blue and pink?
                Are we right in the first place
                Even i got that right first time - its common sense :-)
                Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks wildJONESEYE for re-affirming

Well tabbfan I beg to differ, this is not common sense, if anyone didn't know the rules they may make a mistake in re-spotting or whatever other situation that may happen without a referee... sorry but i don't subscribe to "common sense", I'll just ask if I didn't know... snooker is not a common game to begin with, in our region that is.

but well we fanatics will call it a wonderful game
                  So now we have it all clarified and more players will know what to do in this situation :snooker:
                  John Lim

Comment

The rules of the game are very carefully worded, and need close examination to understand some of the finer points and how different rules interact with each other in certain circumstances.

Get a room full of very experienced referees, examiners and tutors and you'll get some very heated discussions on some questions!

Comment

Thanks wildJONESEYE for re-affirming

Well tabbfan I beg to differ, this is not common sense, if anyone didn't know the rules they may make a mistake in re-spotting or whatever other situation that may happen without a referee... sorry but i don't subscribe to "common sense", I'll just ask if I didn't know... snooker is not a common game to begin with, in our region that is.

but well we fanatics will call it a wonderful game
                      So now we have it all clarified and more players will know what to do in this situation :snooker:
                      You would - common sense is used to apply the rules its also used in the absence of the full knowledge or memory of them
                      Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally Posted by tabbfan View Post
                        You would - common sense is used to apply the rules its also used in the absence of the full knowledge or memory of them
                        Sorry then, what is common to you may not be common to others... and I wouldn't.

We use knowledge and understanding to apply the rules, not common sense.
                        If sense is common, you won't need rules. And snooker wouldn't be such a beautiful game
                        John Lim

Comment

Sorry then, what is common to you may not be common to others... and I wouldn't.

We use knowledge and understanding to apply the rules, not common sense.
                          If sense is common, you won't need rules. And snooker wouldn't be such a beautiful game
                          You look up common sense in the dictionary and Il let you carry on thinking youre right in what you just said :-)
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X