Fouls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fouls

Please help me. I have a couple of questions on fouls.

When are the balls returned to their original positions and the striker made to play again from there? When can I just stay in the chair and make my opponent take another shot- i.e. continue as striker?

When I play one opponent and she is snookered she sometimes makes no attempt to play the shot and just puts the cue ball into a pocket thereby giving me a ball in hand but incurring a foul of only 4 points (usually unless ball on is blue or higher). Surely this cannot be right can it??

Sorry to ask such basic questions and am almosrt embarassed so to do but I would appreciate an answer please.
    王可

The first , is when a miss has been called , the balls are then replaced . unless your game is using a referee ,i would thaught this is not a usual event .

Secondly the opponent always when snookered ,has to make a reasonable effort to escape , firing into a pocket on purpose , is ungentelmanly conduct and is penalised by a penalty , there are refs, more knowing players on here who will tell you exactly by what degree.

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post

When are the balls returned to their original positions and the striker made to play again from there? When can I just stay in the chair and make my opponent take another shot- i.e. continue as striker?

When I play one opponent and she is snookered she sometimes makes no attempt to play the shot and just puts the cue ball into a pocket thereby giving me a ball in hand but incurring a foul of only 4 points (usually unless ball on is blue or higher). Surely this cannot be right can it??

Sorry to ask such basic questions and am almosrt embarassed so to do but I would appreciate an answer please.
      If you are applying the miss rule then you can replace the ball(s) to the original position and the player play again from the original position. OR, you can ask the player to play again and not have the balls replaced, so if the player fouled, you can ask he/she to play from the position left after the foul (not replacing the balls). As 'highbreak8' mentioned, unless there is a referee, the miss rule isn't usually applied to a match.

The second situation where your opponent, from a snookered position, just hits the cue-ball into the pocket, would be a case where a miss would be called if the rule is being applied. If the miss rule isn't being applied then after your opponent pots the cue-ball in the situation you described you have a ball in-hand and you can play the shot or ask your opponent to.

Just hitting the ball into the pocket or fouling on purpose is bad conduct and shouldn't be done and it's one reason why the miss rule was brought in, to stop that happening and the people that do that are the people that can't win fairly, it's quite like cheating.

Comment

Phillip, which part of UK are you from, if you dont mind me asking?

Where are you staying/working in China? What cue do you use to play snooker with?
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
          Phillip, which part of UK are you from, if you dont mind me asking?
          According to his name and profile Philip is from China.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
            According to his name and profile Philip is from China.
            According to his posts he is not. He is supposed to be a native British accountant working in China.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
              According to his posts he is not. He is supposed to be a native British accountant working in China.
              I didn't realise that.

Comment

But I think Dan does not believe it.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Everybody seems SO interested in me. I think I posted some biographical details so you could look there. Failing that google philip greening jackson The quote from "The Sun" is entirely made up. They got my name and age right but all the rest is lies. Most of the other stuff is true including the Great Dane with 3 paws- although that link can lead you to an urban myths website it actually did happen!

On the subject of the cue I do realise it doesn't have to be accurate to 1 gram but here I have a bathroom scale- scarcely accurate enough, or the physics lab scales which will give a very accurate reading, and nothing in between.
                  王可

Comment

I was just joking with my other comments, hope you dont mind. Welcome to the forum.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Philip in China:

Snooker and the rest have it right in that without a referee you are totally pooched. Here in Canada, with no referee we go the other way and a player MUST hit every snooker (unless his opponent agrees it's impossible) and the balls are replaced after every attempt until he either hits the ball on or else reaches the snookers required stage.

This way there is no room for any interpretation or subjectiveness on the part of either player (like, jeez it was a 4-cushion hit and I only missed it by an 1/8" so it's not a MISS). In Canada that's too bad buddy, keep trying. I don't agree with this interpretation however I ain't the President of the Association, only the Treasurer and I don't get to make the rules, even though I am a certified referee too.

By the way, I also agree your opponent, whoever she is, is being very unsportmanlike and is also cheating by blatantly potting the cueball and having ball in hand is not any advantage a lot of the time.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post

After any foul, you can ask your opponent to play from where the balls have come to rest.

You can have the balls replaced and the shot retaken ONLY if a 'Miss' has been called. This means, essentially, that the player is judged not to have made the escape to the best of his/her ability. In the case you mention where a player just taps the white or sends it into a pocket, that would ALWAYS be called a Miss as it is a deliberate non-attempt to hit the ball on.

Remember, even if a Miss has been called, you can choose the ordinary play-again rule, or even choose to play the next shot yourself. Just because you can choose to have the balls replaced, does not mean that you must choose that.

Comment

Nothing much more to add from what other folks have said really. However, as a referee, in the second situation where a deliberate foul has been made I would be calling a miss and warning the striker that if they played a deliberate foul again then they would penalised with the loss of the match.
                          Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

Working...
                          X