Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it legal for snooker player to bet on himself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by The Statman
    I would guess it's legal.

I know Joe Swail got the highest break at the Crucible a few years ago – 140 or 141 I think.

He immediately put a bet on that it would be beaten – so if it was he'd get the payout, and if it wasn't he'd get the high-break prize!

It wasn't beaten.

I know that's not exactly betting on yourself, but thought it was an interesting anecdote.
    Haha, thats smart.

I gues it's not illegal to bet on yourself to win but to bet on yourself to lose is obviously match fixing. You can always get someone else to place the bet for you anyway.

Comment

A lot of players should bet on themselves losing then either way they win,surely that makes sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by mass mystery
        A lot of players should bet on themselves losing then either way they win,surely that makes sense.
        That's what makes it illegal cos they could lose on purpose

Comment

You could always get a distant relative, or middle-man to bet on your loosing, then narrowly loose on purpose, and get the money, giving the middle-man a share, no?
          Science is a refinement of everyday thinking -- Albert Einstein

Comment

That would be a good idea bet on frame score get better odds against yourself ,only need to do it once a season at least the player will be able to finance himself better with prize money being low

Comment

I would not like to see people betting on themselves to
              either win or lose. If the rules are that you can not do it
              in other sports then it should be the same in Snooker.
              Keeps situations from this coming up and disrupting what
              the game is all about

Comment

I dont really see anything wrong with players betting on themselves to win... it just means they'll be trying even harder to win. Lots of players do it.

Willie Thorne says he backed himself at £100,000 in the UK Championship. The match against Steve Davis, when he missed the easy blue and ended up losing the match.

Comment

Originally Posted by SteUK2006
                  I dont really see anything wrong with players betting on themselves to win... it just means they'll be trying even harder to win. Lots of players do it.

Willie Thorne says he backed himself at £100,000 in the UK Championship. The match against Steve Davis, when he missed the easy blue and ended up losing the match.
                  But would you not say that adds extra pressure to winning the match
                  therfore it not being worth while? Like you said Willie Thorne missed an
                  easy blue. Now say he had not bet £100,000 to win do you think he would
                  have missed?

Comment

Originally Posted by xianx
                    But would you not say that adds extra pressure to winning the match
                    therfore it not being worth while?
                    I doubt it would make much difference. Players want to win and are under pressure anyway, regardless of whether they additionally bet on themselves to win. If a player stands to win £100,000 (say) anyway, then I wouldn't imagine that if he places a bet on himself such that he could instead win £200,000 (say), it would make a real difference to how he plays.

Perhaps if he were going to win £10 normally and had a £1 million bet, then it might affect the pressure... but then if he wins the bet would be worthwhile!
                    "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                    David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

its fairly obvious that "fringe" players can make a few bob, though perhaps not a salary, by not winning and having others bet on them losing/their opponents winning.

ive heard rumours of several players doing this, but for legal reasons theyll remain rumours and ill pretend i dont believe the stories, even though a couple i know to be true. ahem

Comment

Working...
                      X