How do you think my progress is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you think my progress is?

Hi there. My first post (bar my introduction!)

I'm 17 and get to play Snooker for 2 hours a week, sometimes 4 if I'm lucky. There are no clubs near where I live that don't require a train to get there, and I can't drive yet. I rely on my dad being able to come with me down to the local pub where they have 3 tables upstairs.

My average break has been around 30, but the other week I got a 56, 17 higher than my previous highest of 39.

Is this a good break for somebody of my age who plays around 2-4 hours a week?

I've also found out that the pub are in a league and have joined that, so hopefully I can improve some more

Cheers.
    :snooker:
    High break: 117
    2013 Midlands University Snooker Champion

... and do you think the 56 was a one off?

It wasn't a straight forward 56, I went into the pack off of the green and built it nicely, suggesting I can do it again, I just haven't broken 40 since I don't think.

Comment

Originally Posted by Tom Read View Post
      Hi there. My first post (bar my introduction!)

I'm 17 and get to play Snooker for 2 hours a week, sometimes 4 if I'm lucky. There are no clubs near where I live that don't require a train to get there, and I can't drive yet. I rely on my dad being able to come with me down to the local pub where they have 3 tables upstairs.

My average break has been around 30, but the other week I got a 56, 17 higher than my previous highest of 39.

Is this a good break for somebody of my age who plays around 2-4 hours a week?

I've also found out that the pub are in a league and have joined that, so hopefully I can improve some more

Cheers.

56 is a great break. There are people that play for 20 years and never make a 50. If you are making regular 30's you will be a dangerous player in the league, capable of beating ANYONE in a single frame.

It will only be a one off break if that's what you believe. Now you've knocked that in you should be looking to improve whenever you get a nice chance in the balls.

There is no reason you can't kick on from here, especially when you start driving and can practice more frequently.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on your 50+ break. That's sweet. It sounds like you have talent.

Your progress really depends on how quickly you have gone on to make a 56 and whether this standard is firstly kept up and then improved on.

I don't think your age is a good guide to how you have progressed.

Imo 2 hours a week practice is not really going to improve your game. However, Joining your local league should improve your progress, as firstly you will get more practice and you will also be able to learn off other players.
        Keep it up.

Give us an update in 2-3 months.

Good luck:snooker:
        Breaks 2010- 47, 40, 56, 53, 47, 45, 46

Highest break 69

Comment

The 56 gave me confidence, for the rest of playing it didn't feel like I would miss.

Every time I get in amongst the balls now I always feel as if there's a big break on, but then I don't know if I'm expecting too much.

Yeah, getting a 30 puts you a fair bit ahead in a league match. I was playing with my dad the other day, started with 2 25's, then hit a 31. Went a bit downhill after that but that frame lasted about 5 minutes!

Played my first league match last Friday, won 2-0. First frame I got in with a mid 20 break and won comfortably. The second frame was scrappy and went down to the black. My opponent wobbled it in the jaws, I couldn't miss, was so relieved!

Of course I'll give you an update in a few months!

Comment

with only 2 hours practice a week, I have to say you did well! many ppl played all their lives and cannot make a 30break. you have got some talent! now you ve broken the 50+ mark, big breaks will come more frequently. keep up the good work!

Comment

hope you'll be a century breaker in months or even weeks to come! Good Job son!
              when im a beginner like you, it took me hours to pot a single ball and progressed to 2 reds 2 colours and dats only after 15years later. cool izn''t it!

Comment

Haha, a century break before I peg it is my aim! Hopefully within the next 10 years with any luck...

Comment

People developed at different rates, I wouldn’t get too caught up on how big your breaks are at your stage. The breaks will come naturally as your potting improves. There is a big difference in playing a pot and it going in and playing a pot and knowing it’s going in before you have hit it, once you get to this level you'll automatically be looking for the next shot IE: your now break building.
                  So what I'm saying is concentrate on getting you potting right and the rest will follow, remember Selby was around a long time before he made an impact and now look at him. .:snooker::snooker::snooker:

Comment

I have no doubt that you will hit a century break Tom. Within a year would be my prediction.

I agree with snawaz, you may need to increase the amount you play in order to continue your improvement as with anything in life you will only get out what you put in. No overdrafts at the snooker bank !

It is clear from your posts that you really enjoy playing snooker which is great as it is this enjoyment that will drive you to continue your quest for improvement & motivate you to practice.

Catch a train to your local pub/club if necessary, that's what I used to do. If you really want to improve, sacrifices need to be made. You will probably end playing & getting to know some decent people who will offer you a lift in the future so you may not need to have to catch the train for too long.

Keep putting the effort in & keep us posted with your progress.

Comment

That's a very good standard considering you only play 2-4 hours a week. I probably play about 6-12 hours a week and it took a year to make my first 50 and a further year and a half to make my first century (earlier this week!); and I'm 16 so we're of similar ages
                      Anyway, I know the feeling when it's all starting to come together and you feel confident of making breaks when you get in - it's great. Just keep working at it and you'll keep improving

Comment

Wow, well done mate.

It's all so friendly here!

Got a league match tonight, well up for it, hopefully I'll get a big break or two

Comment

Drew 1-1, missed a silly pink with the rest which was frame ball. Hit a 34 break in the next though which put me out of sight

Need some tips for rest shots...

Comment

I'm sure there's a clip on here about the rest. Have not watched it yet though.
                            www.youtube.com/neilmaxman
                            If practice makes perfect, and no one's perfect, then why practice?

Comment

Working...
                            X