Snooker Glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Glasses?

Hi Guys, My eyes are not what they should be and consequently I'm not playing to my potential.
    I've seen Snooker Glasses advertised on the web
    and wondered if any of you have had experience with
    these especially designed glasses.

Cheers,
    Robert

Hi Robert:
    I can tell you my experience. I looked into eye laser surgery, and felt the best way to
    go was glasses, but not the one's they sell on the internet..

You have to find a good optician who has a background in adjusting glasses so they will
    work for you. Meaning an optician that has a background in making glasses there are
    not many, but you should be able to find some one in your area, possibily asking other
    snooker players.

In my case Cliff Thorburn was able to give me a person who was very good and who
    had made him a pair of glasses. We live in the Toronto area . If may cost a little more
    but if you get a optician with a background in making snooker glasses it is worth it.
    I paided around $400 which was good for a custom pair, Cliff has similiar one's.

Hope that helps, You can go cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Comment

I got a custom pair of glasses made from my local optician. He is Austrian trained and was eager to take on the challenge. I brought my cue into the clinic to simulate what I was sighting. Basically there needs be more lens above your eyes. There is something called "optical centers" that also needs to be moved up (focusing at the higher part of the lens because you are bent over). Ended up getting a rimless pair (therefore more lens can be at the top) with the arms attached lower (allowing the lenses to sit higher). Also the bottom part is tilted out as much as you can get it. They pretty much looks like the ones I've seen on the internet.

I'm on my 3rd pair of glasses and for this one I had what they call "prism" put in the prescription. Because I'm older and having a problem bring the images together (ie seeing 2 object balls) prism bring the images closer together making it easier to focus and see one ball. If you are lucky find an optician who specializes in them or at least one who take the time to find out how you want to use them. Hope that helps.

Comment

Although LASIK is the best solution, not all people can afford it or else don't like the word 'surgery'.

The next best solution is gas permeable contact lenses which are semi-rigid and allow the cornea to get oxygen. These provide the visual acuity of glasses but without the minor distortion even a properly fitted pair of snooker specs will have. I've been using this type of lens for years and have never had any problems.

I wear the lenses every day from 7am to 10pm with no problems. They do not rely on the moisture content of your eye and your eyes do not get red as the oxygen is allowed through.

Then for those who don't like the thought of putting a lens in their eyes you can go with the snooker glasses. However, since the glasses are off the eye there is still some distortion in what you see. I would recommend going to a good optician, explaining to him what snooker entails, as was suggested above.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Robert: I went through basically the same process as Kgene,he explains it better,.
          Focal point measurement is also part of it. I do know a guy who had surgery but
          frankly I am not sure if he is at a level to warrant the cost and procedure and he still
          needs glasses for reading. My glasses have the rims because they are very large
          len's and other then that done the same way as yours.
          take care

Comment

Originally Posted by bob1 View Post
            Hi Robert:
            I can tell you my experience. I looked into eye laser surgery, and felt the best way to
            go was glasses, but not the one's they sell on the internet..

You have to find a good optician who has a background in adjusting glasses so they will
            work for you. Meaning an optician that has a background in making glasses there are
            not many, but you should be able to find some one in your area, possibily asking other
            snooker players.

In my case Cliff Thorburn was able to give me a person who was very good and who
            had made him a pair of glasses. We live in the Toronto area . If may cost a little more
            but if you get a optician with a background in making snooker glasses it is worth it.
            I paided around $400 which was good for a custom pair, Cliff has similiar one's.

Hope that helps, You can go cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Hi Bob, can please forward me the info for your eye guy...i'm in the toronto area as well and was going to drop the $200 for the ones off the web this week, but would rather pay $400 and make sure they're correct...my game can't afford to miss anymore than i do!

Comment

Originally Posted by Doggystylen View Post
              Hi Bob, can please forward me the info for your eye guy...i'm in the toronto area as well and was going to drop the $200 for the ones off the web this week, but would rather pay $400 and make sure they're correct...my game can't afford to miss anymore than i do!
              Hi: the place is called EYE WEAR for you. Only deal with the one staff
              member that makes glasses and you have to book an appointment with
              him. The rest of the staff can be difficult and don't know what he know's!

major intersection 401 and Kennedy just north of the 401.

Tam Cheah , Optician 416 299-6224

best wishes

Comment

thanx........

Comment

Originally Posted by Doggystylen View Post
                  thanx........
                  No problem. Keep in mind the price will vary depending on your perscription.
                  The glasses i got , the lens, cost more then Cliff's because my vision is
                  worse then his. But I provided a large pair of frames which the guy worked
                  on so I provided the frames. The cost to me was in the time the guy
                  worked on them and the lens.
                  The guy is super at what he does, and a nice guy. I guess if it is good
                  enough for Cliff it is good enough for us.

Comment

Working...
                  X