2 Questions for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions for you.

Hi everyone, I have 2 question for you all.

1) What is longest number of rounds though a ranking tournament that someone has progressed (inc qualifying rounds?). Bound to be the World Championship?

2) What is the cleverest shot that anyone has seen played. For example playing a tricky red, and making sure that your opponent was snookered and also having a colour on, so that whatever happens you've got an advantage.

I remember in the last WC McCulloch was playing Williams - and there was a very clever shot played where Williams was put in a very tricky snooker, and the red was pushed over the pocket. I think this was the last frame before McCuloch won.

Dan.

1)

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/forumdisplay-f_55.html

Select "Progression" and then look at the thread "Most matches won to reach Crucible".

2)

There are many candidates. Steve Davis once was snookered on two remaining reds, both near the pink spot. The cue-ball was in the jaws of the yellow pocket, with a baulk colour right in front of it. He judged the exact part of the curved jaw cushion, and it landed deadweight on the two reds.

About 25 years ago!

Comment

Hi Phil,

I think you've got every question covered somewhere on this site! What match/tournament was the Davis escape from? Would have liked to have seen his opponents reaction!

Dan.

P.S - Do you have any news about when the Premier League will be back on? Who will be invited also?

Comment

http://www.premierleaguesnooker.com/schedule.asp

Just found out the fixtures/dates for the Premier League.

Comment

My name's not Phil!

Comment

lol , Whos Phil????
            I am sure Statman aint Phil.........or r u Statman?
            Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

I'm not sure why - but I had the impression that the StatMan was a famous Phil. Maybe not then??!!

Dan

Comment

Yes, I would have liked to see that shot you describe, Statman "Phil"

Another of Davis's that I remember from the World Championships was when Davis was potting the blue after having potted the last red. Yellow and brown were fairly safe. The yellow was on (or near) the side cushion, near the green pocket; and the brown was on the baulk cushion.

Davis potted the blue to the centre pocket, sending the white ball to clip off the right hand edge of the brown, bringing the brown into a pottable position with the white then deflected to bounce off baulk cushion and land by the side cushion in behind the yellow, leaving it on to the green pocket.

I believe that this shot was in the line-up of Shot of the Championship - possibly even won it. If anyone has a better recollection of this shot than I, perhaps even a recording, I'd be interested.
                "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Working...
                X