Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever played in a tournament with a brand new cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever played in a tournament with a brand new cue?

Have you ever played in a tournament with a brand new cue, maybe just a couple days of practise before? What is the subsequent result?

yes i played in the english amateur with a cue i had recieved the day before. i didnt do too bad i was one match away from qualifying in my region. I lost to a very good on the day sydney wilson who had just beaten alfie burden in the previous match. However i would not reccomend it as under pressure it can feel totally alien and unfortunately we are no ronnie o sullivan lol

Comment

lol, id just bought my current cue and about a week after went into english amateur lost in first round 4-1...

however, that may ALSO have something to do with the fact it was my first proper cue, and i had only actually picked up a club cue and starting playing snooker 2 months prior to this date, so im fairnes i wasnt that good...

bit of an unfair test..haha
      what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Originally Posted by fuwu
        :snooker: no, it's wise to not do that
        When John Pulman was young his cue was lost on a train on the way to a comp. Burroughs and Watts had a stand there and let him take his pick from what they had. He won the event and used the cue to become world champion in the end.

Well that's the rough tale anyway.

Comment

You can use a new cue but I would highly recommend you not use any siding at all until you get used to the throw of that particular cue as every cue will have a sloghtly different throw.

I am always trying out new cues but before I use one in a match I like to have played with it for at least a month before.

Right now I'm using an Aurora 1-piece which I really like but I have ordered a bunch of 3/4-butt cues since I hate dragging around a 1-piece. As our season doesn't start until late September I will have a good test on whichever cue I choose to go forward with. I have 2 Trevor Whites, an O'Min and also an Aurora 3/4-butt which I hope was shipped today. Also have a couple of B&W's (new ones) and an ADR147 to try out and see which one I'm suited to.

Then I'll have to try and sell all the ones left over so I can afford to get to Syria for the Worlds in December.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

i got a new robert osborne black plate about a week before the scottish amateur championship in 2006 which i won using the cue. i always changed my cues quite often though so didnt take me a long time to adjust to the new one.

Comment

Working...
            X