Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cube of chalk hitting a ball

Hi Guys ,

Cube of chalk falls out of my chalk pouch and hits the Blue ball .
    Assume 5 point penalty ?

Thanks
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Unless you have just potted a red, and haven't yet nominated a colour, or made it obvious which colour you are going for. In which case it would be a 7 point penalty.
    Last edited by cantpotforshíte; 6 September 2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
      Unless you have just potted a red, and haven't yet nominated a colour, or made it obvious which colour you are going for. In this case it would be a 7 point penalty.
      Just potted the Yellow . So i suppose the yellow comes back up as well.

Comment

Yes, it is a foul, the penalty may be 5 points!

If any part of the player's body (including his hairs!), his clothing or his equipment, or anything like chalk that he brings to the table, touches any of the balls on the table, then it is a foul.

The penalty with the value of the ball on or the ball concerned, so if you;'re on a red, then it would be five. Strictly if you;re on a colour, but haven't nominated which one then it would be seven.

Comment

Thanks for that . I was very close a few times last night ! Not sure how i kept managing it . Will have to watch that with the new season only a week away

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
            Strictly if you;re on a colour, but haven't nominated which one then it would be seven.
            Nothing nominated - I would have thought it would be five as it is the blue fouled?
            If on a red - five
            Yellow to blue nominated - five
            Pink nominated - six
            Black nominated - seven.

Can this be clarified by someone.
            Thanks
            DeanH
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              Nothing nominated - I would have thought it would be five as it is the blue fouled?
              Nope as it turns out, but I only know this because of a recent thread on the same topic

See: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ight=nominated
              "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

To re-quote the appropriate rule (s3 r12)

(d) A penalty of seven points is incurred if the striker
                (i) uses a ball off the table for any purpose,
                (ii) uses any object to measure gaps or distance,
                (iii) plays at Reds, or a free ball followed by a Red, in successive strokes,
                (iv) uses any ball other than White as the cue-ball for any stroke once the frame has started,
                (v) fails to declare which ball he is on when requested to do so by the referee, or
                (vi) after potting a Red or free ball nominated as a Red, commits a foul before nominating a colour.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                  To re-quote the appropriate rule (s3 r12)

(d) A penalty of seven points is incurred if the striker
                  (i) uses a ball off the table for any purpose,
                  (ii) uses any object to measure gaps or distance,
                  (iii) plays at Reds, or a free ball followed by a Red, in successive strokes,
                  (iv) uses any ball other than White as the cue-ball for any stroke once the frame has started,
                  (v) fails to declare which ball he is on when requested to do so by the referee, or
                  (vi) after potting a Red or free ball nominated as a Red, commits a foul before nominating a colour.
                  Souwester, many thanks for the clarification.
                  So the crux of this posting is the nominating or not nominating of the colour.
                  Thanks
                  DeanH

Comment

Yes. If you had potted the red, then leaning over the table to play your next shot at the (let's say) green, and as you did so your chalk fell onto the table and hit the blue, the referee would probably be satisfied that green was the nominated colour so you'd only be penalised 5 for touching the blue.

Of course, if the balls hadn't stopped moving from your shot on the red, it will be a foul 5 for THAT shot, and you will therefore not score for the red.

Comment

Statman, you are right with the assumption that the referee would assume the "nomination" of a clear colour being played and that is why 99% of the time the foul given is that of the colour being On and not always seven as in this ruling.
                      Interesting thread.
                      Cheers all.
                      DeanH

Comment

Working...
                      X