To old to improve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by seppo147 View Post
    Coaches try to make busines here. True is you have to be very poor player now if you want getting better. One ex pro was telling,not trying to make busines cheating people.
    Sorry mate, I think your message has got lost in the translation. I couldn't understand the point your making

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
      Sorry mate, I think your message has got lost in the translation. I couldn't understand the point your making

Because people dont like truth.

Comment

Because people dont like truth.
        Mate your english is terrible, your post is a load of waffle. If you have an intelligent contribution to make we would love to hear it in english please
        Last edited by cazmac1; 4 December 2010, 05:30 PM.

Comment

speak it fluent

Comment

[QUOTE=seppo147;537027]speak it fluent[/QUOTE

Is that It? (speak it fluent) what the hell is that suppose to mean
            Still waiting for you to translate your first post.

Comment

focus your angryment and energy to improve your game

dont wait

Comment

Coaches try to make busines here. True is you have to be very poor player now if you want getting better. One ex pro was telling,not trying to make busines cheating people.
                Still waiting for an explanation as to the point you’re trying to make.
                If you can't provide one I will try and do it for you and see how we go.
                You think there is a conspiracy on this forum orchestrated my coaches to con older players out of there money by giving them false belief that they can become a pro.
                I think your head is seriously messed up mate. You obviously have issues surrounding your own game and are venting them on us simple folk.
                The original poster quite simply asked can he improve after a certain age. You obviously think he can’t.
                On behalf of all the older members I like to thank you for sharing your views.

Comment

Thanks for the comments folks.

Looking forward to a new custom Glover cue and then maybe a couple of coaching sessions to check out the basics etc and then i will take it from there.

Does anyone know a good coach in the Brum area?

Cheers James

Comment

Good luck treefella, with the coaching and the new cue.

Comment

Just a bit more for you treefella, I picked up the stick again a few years back and am now playing for the first time in a League. I was an average player in my younger days but now I aspire to be among our best. It took me the last three years to develope form that I am mimicking from watching the best. It also took several visits to the chiropractor to help me out of the pain I was causing developing form. I am just now getting my head in good position along with stance. I'm just about sixty, so age as far as I'm concerned is not an issue. Time is. Get busy and strive to be the best you can.

Comment

There are some good points in this string.

First of all, when we are younger players most of us developed our own style and there's usually something in that technique which demands the player has excellent coordination in order to get back to the exact address position at the time of strike. This could be some head movement, perhaps some glitch in the grip, swinging the grip hand around the chest a bit or a host of other little glitches.

As we age, our coordination becomes a little poorer and we are not able to get precisely back to the address position and thus our game goes downhill.

This is where coaching comes in. A good coach should try and encourage a player to remove any moving parts which aren't needed, which virtually means the only moving part should be the grip arm elbow, with perhaps a little lmovement in the shoulder when dropping that elbow at the end of the backswing (if it's longer) and at the end of the delivery, well after the cueball has been struck.

At the age of almost 66 years I have been working on removing any extra movement (mostly my head/shoulder) and my game is actually getting better than I was 20 years ago and playing full time, but at this age it seems to me it takes longer to learn and integrate the required changes.

Despite what the one poster says in rather poor English, I doubt very much any coach on here will try and encourage a 45-year-old player that he can turn pro as long as he takes a lot of lessons and spends a lot of money on coaching. I have a lot of students and not one of them first of all desires to turn pro but ALL of them want to improve what they have and I know for CERTAIN I have been able to help those students who are serious, listen to what I say and then try and integrate the changes and improvements.

I believe anyone at any age who can still see the balls and deliver a cue and perhaps be able to stand for longer periods of time is capable of improvement, however as one gets a little older (let's say over 60 years) it get a lot harder to learn the lessons and get them into our natural technique.

And, it takes a lot of practice time too!

To me, if you are under 45 years old, you still have 20 years to learn and improve, but it takes a little dedication (and yes, maybe a bit of money too if it's well-spent on good coaching). Steve Davis is 52 or 53 years old and his game was going downhill and he eventually dropped out of the top 16, but he was able to change his technique a bit and has lately been able to improve his present standard although I'm sure he recognizes he will never be able to obtain any improvement over the abilities he had in the 80's, but there are still some younger professionals around who do not look forward to drawing Steve in a match, and what's wrong with that?

Incidentally, Steve is his own coach so I guess he saves a bit of money as he has his own table too but I believe every player should have a session with a coach from time to time, and if he knows enough about technique he can do this hemself but there's nothing better than a coach with another set of eyes who knows what he is talking about to set a play on the right path to imrovement.

Terry
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Ordered my new cue today - can't wait for it to be ready. Down side is a 14 week wait!
                          Thanks again for the comments guys.

Regards

Comment

I think it always helps if you can find someone of a good standard to play with, decent competiton ( particularly against better opposition ) always improves your game

Comment

I'm 34 now and have improved steadlily the past few years, but I've hit a brick wall the past year. I think it's simply down to practice and dedication though. I just haven't had the time to practice. Occassionally, last night for example, I just have moments when I see everything and it all seems very easy. But then other times I'm terrible. These moments are not regular these days simply because I'm not practicing enough to be "in form"
                              Cheers
                              Steve

Comment

Been playing really well lately, since start of new year (eight 40+ breaks in league and cup matches a few should have been real biggies, finals of minor league team, individual and pairs knockouts still to come), and have just been asked to play for a team in the Premier League in Birmingham's Efficiency League (currently playing in Division 4). Really flattered with it. Big decision to make over the summer now though.

Picked up my stunning new Tony Glover cue yesterday (what a piece of craftsmanship it is too), can't wait to give it a try, although as I said I've been playing well with my trusty old cue. Maybe it will give me even more confidence.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                                X