Dodgy Cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy Cushions

Okay, so as most of you wonderful people know, I play snooker on a 6' x 4' table (hope to get full size very soon) I've been playing well on it, but over the past few months I've noticed that whenever the cueball bounces off the top of bottom cushions it always jumps and then carries on, and it takes some of the pace out of the cueball. It jumps about a centimetre in the air, and is annoying when you play topsins off cushions because you can't get the desired pace of the ball. It never happens on the side cushions, just the top and bottom. They're not loaded up with chalk and it can't be the cueball because it doesn't happen on the sides. Any insights?

loose cushion?

Comment

I've got no idea. I don't want a new table or anything...

How can you cure a loose cushion then?

Comment

On full sized tables the sides often have panels which slide off to reveal the bolts that fix the cushions. My pool table (6x3) has simple clips that can't really be tightened (but then again, they shouldn't come loose either). Hard to say which design yours will follow. If it's a wooden bed (as opposed to slate) it might even have the cushions screwed on.

Another possible cause of the bounce might be that the cushions are set at the wrong height, possibly because the cushion has moved or possibly just because the rubber lining has sagged (ie, someone sat on it). Again, you'd have to hope that the design of your table is adjustable to fix this.

Comment

I don't reckon it has the slidey things. It's a simple design but it's effective. If nobody has an answer it's OK, thanks for the help anyway, it wasn't a major major problem, just something that would be better if it was recitifed.

-100-

Comment

without knowing how the cushions are connected to the table then its really not worth while guessing.

....and it may not be a loose cushion, although id reckon its the most probable, though certainly not the only cause

sorry

Comment

You have a choice of 2 possibilities

1st yes you might have a loose cushion they way to cheque this is to bounce a ball off the opposite cushion if the bounce is different then you could have a loose cushion
              Now how to fix this there are many different setups with cushion fixings ( the slidey things are called cushion slips ) if you move them you will see bolts 17mm give them a slight tighten these are usually found on slate bed tables
              if you have a wooden base table the cushion will be held on with screws or pins if it is screws give them a tighten if it is pins you will have to put screws in it

2nd this could be a cloth problem if the nap on the cloth is worn your ball will bounce off the cushion normally the baulk and the black cushion the only way to resolve this problem is to get the table recovered
              pm me if you have any more questions

cheers marty
              www.saltiresnooker.piczo.com

Comment

Are the cushion faces vertical or are they at a slight diagonal? If they are slightly diagonal, with the top of the cushion face (the actual part theat the ball hits) protruding further out into the table than lower down, then the ball rebounds off the cushion in a slightly downward direction. Then it meets the bed of the table and will therefore have a tendency to 'rebound' upwards – which manifests itself in a bounce.

This happens on countless full-size club tables, and may be the case here.

Comment

Solution: Sell it to Worldsnooker. They love dodgy tables!
                  "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

Originally Posted by SALTIRE-SNOOKER
                    1st yes you might have a loose cushion they way to cheque this is to bounce a ball off the opposite cushion if the bounce is different then you could have a loose cushion
                    i do hope you were joking with this part of your reply!!

what if the opposite cushion is loose, or "dead"??

if you were joking, it would have been nice to see a smilie at the end of the post

Comment

Originally Posted by elvaago
                      Solution: Sell it to Worldsnooker. They love dodgy tables!
                      Lol, I love my lil' snooker table, but a large sum of money and a bit of money on the side capped off with a bit of money then I could consider

Actually no, I love it, I'm keeping it!

Comment

Working...
                      X