Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetically speaking...

...what would happen if the following (unlikely) scenario occurred:

A player pots (for arguments sake) 5 reds and 4 blacks and is snookered on the 5th black. He attempts to hit the black but is unsuccessful, and a 'miss' is consequently called. The opposing player doesn't have anything easy on and so has the balls replaced, but this time the original player not only gets out of the snooker, but flukes the black as well!

Would this be the start of the break (i.e. 7) or would it continue on from his previous effort and he'd be on for a 147??

I think I know the answer...it would just seem odd if a break was to begin with someone potting the black!!

Thanks,

Rich

Atthe very end of a frame a break can start with someone potting the black.

The break isn't very impressive though usually.

Comment

Originally Posted by chasmmi
      Atthe very end of a frame a break can start with someone potting the black.

The break isn't very impressive though usually.
      It is the start of a new break. John Parrott did it at Sheffield a few years ago. He was snookered in the pack after a red, and took green. He missed it and the balls were replaced. The second time he fuluked the green, and his break thus started at 3.

It is the old chestnut, what is the highest break that you can make that does not involve a free ball? The answer is 154.

You get a free ball, and then go for a colour, but fail to hit the colour and a miss is called. The opponent has the balls replaced, and you go for the black this time (as you may or may not have done the first time) - and pot it!

Your break therefore starts with a black for 7 and you still have the regular 147 on the table!

You do need a free ball for this situation to happen, but the actual break does not include it.

Comment

Of course, in the situation you describe, a 147 would not be on because the break would not be completed in a single visit.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
          Of course, in the situation you describe, a 147 would not be on because the break would not be completed in a single visit.
          Thanks Statman...great knowledge!

I remember Ronnie was on for a 148 or something a few years ago (in the premier league?) but ended up missing...he realised what was on the cards though as he was grinning like a cheshire cat!!

Comment

Great ! I never thought of that as a 154 without a free ball!
            Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Working...
            X