Rule clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule clarification

I am here to find out a rule I have never seen or come across maybe someone can help as I am sure this must have happened at some point.

All the spots are unavailable and the black is potted. not only is the black spot unavailable but all the space between the spot and top cushion is full, I guess logically the black would go closest to the next highest available spot, however I don't know this as a fact and would like clarification. Also has anyone actually seen this happen in a professional tournament?

I think in the rules about this the wording must be incorrect ! ie the highlighted word below (below) surely should read above ??

7. Spotting Colours
    Any colour pocketed or forced off the table shall be spotted before the next stroke is made, until finally potted.....

(g) In the case of Pink and Black, if all spots are occupied and there is no available space between the relevant spot and the nearest part of the top cushion, the colour shall be placed as near to its own spot as possible on the centre line of the table below the spot

Comment

(g) In the case of Pink and Black, if all spots are occupied and there is no available space between the relevant spot and the nearest part of the top cushion, the colour shall be placed as near to its own spot as possible on the centre line of the table below the spot.

Yes now the black has been potted all the spots are unavailable the space between the black spot and top cushion is full, the black can not be re-spotted in line as near as it can be towards the top cushion.

Comment

If it can't go between the black spot and the top cushion, then it goes below the spot on the centre line of the table as close as possible to its own spot as described in the rule that jrc copied and pasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
          If it can't go between the black spot and the top cushion, then it goes below the spot on the centre line of the table as close as possible to its own spot as described in the rule that jrc copied and pasted.
          I guess you meant to say above ???

Comment

No jrc. The far side of the top cushion is actually below the spot.
            Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

No, it goes below if it can't go above. Between the top cushion (the black cushion) and the spot is described as "above". Between the black spot and the baulk cushion is described as "below".

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                I think in the rules about this the wording must be incorrect ! ie the highlighted word below (below) surely should read above ??

7. Spotting Colours
                Any colour pocketed or forced off the table shall be spotted before the next stroke is made, until finally potted.....

(g) In the case of Pink and Black, if all spots are occupied and there is no available space between the relevant spot and the nearest part of the top cushion, the colour shall be placed as near to its own spot as possible on the centre line of the table below the spot
                It is technically right... It is confusing but remember the top cushion is seen at the bottom of your TV screen so technically putting a ball above a spot is actually going below it!!!
                Highest Break
                Practice: 136 (2005)
                Match: 134 (2006)
                In 2011: 94
                Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
                  No jrc. The far side of the top cushion is actually below the spot.
                  Edit... fair enough, daft wording tho eh
                  Last edited by jrc750; 23 April 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Alright, not well explained! Gerry did it better.
                    Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

I actually got it wrong. Good I have never come across this. What about my other part of the question has anyone seen this rule implemented in a pro torment?

Comment

Forget the TV screen and think of it this way. When you break off, you're going from the low value colours towards the highest value colour, the black. Therefore, above the black would mean the space between the black spot and the top cushion. Below the black would mean the space between the black and pink spots.

This scenario has only ever happened to me once whilst as a referee. All the spots were occupied and there was no space between the top cushion and the pink spot. The player, in potting the black, also potted the pink. As there was no space, the Black, being the highest value ball, was spotted............. hmmm. ok. you lot tell me. Where did I spot the Pink and Black? Remember, there was no space available between the top cushion and pink spot and all spots were occupied.
                        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Black just below the pink spot, and pink just below that ??

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
                            Forget the TV screen and think of it this way. When you break off, you're going from the low value colours towards the highest value colour, the black. Therefore, above the black would mean the space between the black spot and the top cushion. Below the black would mean the space between the black and pink spots.

This scenario has only ever happened to me once whilst as a referee. All the spots were occupied and there was no space between the top cushion and the pink spot. The player, in potting the black, also potted the pink. As there was no space, the Black, being the highest value ball, was spotted............. hmmm. ok. you lot tell me. Where did I spot the Pink and Black? Remember, there was no space available between the top cushion and pink spot and all spots were occupied.
                            You spot the highest value ball first i.e. the black. As there is no space available between the black and the top cushion, you put it as close as possible to its own spot below its spot on the centre line of the table. Once the black is spotted, you do the same with the pink. So in this particular scenario, both balls would be spotted below the pink spot, black first then pink.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
                              You spot the highest value ball first i.e. the black. As there is no space available between the black and the top cushion, you put it as close as possible to its own spot below its spot on the centre line of the table. Once the black is spotted, you do the same with the pink. So in this particular scenario, both balls would be spotted below the pink spot, black first then pink.
                              Which is just what i said lol

Comment

Working...
                              X