2 147's in one match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
    I heard that as well. I can't imagine anyone other than Hendry making the most. His consistency and drive for perfection (in his younger days) would have meant he would be hungry to make more than anyone else. He's shown that he wants to be top of all stats as once Ronnie edged ahead of him in terms of televised maximums 8-7, Hendry made 2 to go back into the lead. He never used to seem that bothered about them, he just wanted the frame wrapped up in one visit, and if the chance of a max came, great. Now he looks like he is actively looking to make them.
    As a guess to who is second, I suppose Willie Thorne would be there or thereabouts, but I also bet players such as Ronnie and John Higgins are pretty near Willie's total.
    Dean
    Willie thorne thinks hes known as the 'maximum man' but in reality, hes isnt even in the top 10 maximum breakers. I know a few players and managers, and its well known willie used to play on tables with pockets the size of dustbin lids. I've also heard players say that have played him that he would rack the balls back up again if there werent enough reds on for the ton, or the balls went akward for the max. Willie severley underachieved in his career due to having zero bottle when it mattered, to only be associated with making unofficial maximums in practice instead of achieving what he should have done is sad. Ronnie and John will be way wayyyyy ahead of willies maximum total, if Ronnie and John have got like 14-15 between them in telivised play, where pressure is on, think what they are like in practice. Ronnie is that used to them he likes leaving the black.
    I love the game of snooker :) (even though my mates think that its just a load of balls :D )

Comment

Originally Posted by Nat5guns View Post
      Willie thorne thinks hes known as the 'maximum man' but in reality, hes isnt even in the top 10 maximum breakers. I know a few players and managers, and its well known willie used to play on tables with pockets the size of dustbin lids. I've also heard players say that have played him that he would rack the balls back up again if there werent enough reds on for the ton, or the balls went akward for the max. Willie severley underachieved in his career due to having zero bottle when it mattered, to only be associated with making unofficial maximums in practice instead of achieving what he should have done is sad. Ronnie and John will be way wayyyyy ahead of willies maximum total, if Ronnie and John have got like 14-15 between them in telivised play, where pressure is on, think what they are like in practice. Ronnie is that used to them he likes leaving the black.
      No doubt (statistics prove it) Ronnie and JH have far more competitive maximums than WT. So does a lot of other players, however the question wasn't in relation to just match play.
      You said it yourself -
      Originally Posted by Nat5guns View Post
      and its well known willie used to play on tables with pockets the size of dustbin lids. I've also heard players say that have played him that he would rack the balls back up again if there werent enough reds on for the ton, or the balls went awkward for the max.
      By doing this, he is not practicing for a frame or playing to improve all round, he is playing with the intention of making a 147, or at worst a century. As soon as it isn't possible, the balls are set back up, smashed open, and the pink re-spotted... Couple this with *cough cough* "generous" pockets, and the odds are he probably is much closer to the top of the list than he should be.
      Actual practice frames, where he is playing someone, not smashing the pack open and making a 147 properly, I bet you wouldn't get 50 from WT, where as the others have lost count. (as you said, ronnie doesn't even bother with the last black).
      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Playing with the intention of going for a 147 every frame and setting them up when it isn't possible, isn't PROPER snooker, regardless of whether its match, exhibition or practice with a partner. Going for a 147 from the start of a frame, and then playing through it like people would normally do is the way you do it properly, so its at least valid and you've had to work for it. The entire reason why maximums are so special is because they are relativity rare, and have to be earned. The top players out there might have 2 chances a day for one if they play normal session, and may not have one for weeks or months. If they play like Willie has done, that will probably increase to 10 chances a day, you are bound to hit more of them.

There would be members of this forum that could achieve 50+ maximums easily in a lifetime if it meant racking them up after a few minutes. It's not impressive, its something people do so they can brag about how many they have had, when in fact they aren't legit ones. I always laugh at the nickname 'maximum man', if anyone should hold that its players like Hendry/Higgins/Osullivan.
        I love the game of snooker :) (even though my mates think that its just a load of balls :D )

Comment

Nat...........How many has Jamie Cope made.....or has he stopped counting?

As for Mr Maximum Man - i think Willie may have even counted line up 147s - how desperate!

Comment

I've heard the name of Sefton Payne before for two consecutive 147s...

Comment

Some info on Sefton....http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...GU693JAAmy4PXA

Over the years I can remember hearing that Jimmy White and Dominic Dale had made consecutive 147s and I think Hugh Abernethy and Adrian Gunnell have made 3 in 4 frames - also I know that Stefan Mazrocis has made 3 in a day.

Comment

Working...
              X