• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of Rule 12(d)(iii)

Hi,

I'm trying to work out what Rule 12 Penalties, part (d)(iii) means:

"(d) A penalty of seven points is incurred if the striker
    (iii) plays at Reds, or a free ball followed by a Red, in successive strokes,"

I understand the first part, that if you go for a red after potting a red, it's a foul 7; but why is "a free ball followed by a Red" a foul if the free ball was in place of a colour? Or does the second bit mean playing at a a free-ball-as-red, followed by another red (though it doesn't say that)?

Cheers from a newbie interested in refereeing and rules,

Jacobite

Originally Posted by jacobite1 View Post
    Or does the second bit mean playing at a a free-ball-as-red, followed by another red (though it doesn't say that)?
    Correct, if a red ball is played after a free ball is played, Foul, 7 points.
    And it does say that:
    Originally Posted by jacobite1 View Post
    (iii) plays at Reds, or a free ball followed by a Red, in successive strokes
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I think I know what you're thinking Jacobite ... But it doesn't have to say 'free-ball-as-red' because the only time that you can take a free ball as a colour is when you're on the colours (yellow, green, brown etc). Obviously if you've nominated the pink ball as a yellow for instance, it can't be followed by a red because there aren't any reds left on the table.

Comment

Thanks for that. I was being thick - I was thinking about what happens when the free ball is a colour, but that can only happen when all the reds are off the table, of course. Sanity comes to visit again :-)

Comment

And a spotter's badge to cantpotfor****e for identifying my leap-of-logic brain-burp :-)

It seems a nightmare trying to imagine all the possible configurations where the rules might apply.

Comment

Working...
          X