Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nominating colour after potting red.

Hi

Just looking for some clarification about an incident in last nights league game.

I potted red, black and pink lying 12-18 inches apart from each other. I pot black, ref says you've got to nominate your colour and tries to penalize me.

Isn't it the case that if it's obvious which colour you're going for then you don't have to nominate? I know things get messy with touching balls etc.

When it's not obvious to the referee, although it is to the player, then it's up to the referee to request which colour I'm going for?

Thanks Bendy

Nomination can be through indication (where your cue is pointing or by pointing with your finger) or declaration (verbally stating). In the vast majority of cases the way your cue is aiming is sufficient indication as to which ball you've nominated. If the referee is unsure then he should ask you to declare which ball you are on.

Failure to declare when asked is a foul, but the referee cannot foul you if he hasn't asked!

It's the same in respect of nominating free balls. In the overwhelming majority of cases players will verbally declare which ball they have nominated, but it really isn't necessary, because the same rules apply.

From Section 2 - Definitions:

12. Nominated Ball
    (a) A nominated ball is the object ball which the striker declares, or indicates to the satisfaction of the referee, he undertakes to hit with the first impact of the cue-ball.
    (b) If requested by the referee, the striker must declare which ball he is on.
    Last edited by Souwester; 4 November 2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Cheers Souwester thanks for responding..

Comment

Working...
      X