heres a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heres a question

just watching Ebdon clearing up to force a re-spotted black in frame 12 against Ding. how does the ref decide who calls on the coin toss-is it the player who pots the final black in the original frame or is there no rule to it !!!

he asked ebdson to call on this occasion who called correctly & put Ding in !!

any ideas please

No idea archi?

Anyone seen the old recording of the re-spotted black in the inaugural B&H Masters final frame decider between Spencer and Reardon? John won the toss and walked towards the table as if he was going to take first shot at the black. He then suddenly tuns and goes back to his corner.

Ted Lowe said: "haha, in fact, Spencer's just having a gag, pretending HE was going to play this very important stroke".

Comment

I think the ref just chooses a player randomly..sometimes that player will call, sometimes he will offer the call to his opponent.
      Mon the Rocket

Comment

Here is what is said on http://www.worldsnooker.com/about_the_rules.htm

4. End of Frame, Game or Match
        (b)...
        (i) the Black is spotted,
        (ii) the players draw lots for choice of playing

Now, i don`t know where it`s said in these rules, but our commentators in russia always say that, the player who won the coin-lot may either play the next shot or offer his opponent to play.

edit: my English is not very good, esp.in that time of night, so may the "choice of playing" be about those choises?

Comment

your english is fine

cheers-i just wondered how the ref decided-looks like its a random choice !

Comment

I was always advised, when I started refereeing, that, once the call has been offered to a player for the start of the match, then I should alternate the offer of the call for any re-spot in that match.

So referee offers Hendry the toss at the start of the match. In the first re-spot the call will be offered to O'Sullivan, any subsequent call will be offered to them alternately.

Not in the Rules, as such, but a bit of good etiquette by the ref to ensure fair play.

But whichever, the winner of the toss has the choice of whether to play, or have his opponent play, the first shot at the black.

Comment

Is it so important? It's like who is going to break first
              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

i would have thought it was important a syou have the chance to control your destiny with the coining. if you arent asked then you have no control !!

i think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

But statistically it's not important who gets to choose, the chances of them "winning" the toss are equal to them losing, so no matter who the referee chooses the odds of a player getting to decide whether to play first or nominate are the same.

Unless my maths is all wrong

Andrew

Comment

that is the Q to refs&players here. because some players may like or dislike the first stroke (in case of respotted black) - for whatever reason - i`m neither ref nor player, don`t know, and suggest to wait for a spec.
                    and as for nominating - can`t it be a bit unfair - or at least a reason for speculating..

Comment

I think that's not very important, because you defenetely wont pot it from 1st shot

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans
                        I think that's not very important, because you defenetely wont pot it from 1st shot
                        don`t know to whom it was - but my post was the last, so... I wouldn`t - but i havn`t even try - some would. Don`t remember who exactly it was, Murphy I think, who potted from 1st shot

Comment

But that's very hard...trick shot actually

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans
                            I think some of the more brave or reckless pro players have gone for the long double on the black in the respotted black scenario - i think Jimmy White used to try it occassionally, if i remember correctly ? It may have just been when he was getting desperate.

But i would imagine a proffesional should be able to make this shot 3 or 4 times out of 10 ? So its not exactly a "percentage shot" as Steve Davis would say.
                            "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

I am certainly not a great player - but it is a shot I practise - I always go for the cut and have about 40% success rate - my feeling is my safety and weighting of the balls is not good, so taking this shot on, I have a 40% chance of potting it and if I miss it is 50 - 50 on how safe it goes. It has worked better for me than playing the safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X