Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronnie O'Sullivan 'Assaulted' An Official, 1996?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie O'Sullivan 'Assaulted' An Official, 1996?

Just watching a lil thing on BBC2 about Ronnie's bad times and he was making a public apoligy for assaulting an official in 1996. Can someone shed more light on this incodent?

Thanks.

He punched the tournament referee Mike Ganley, son of Len, in the face after a disagreement between the two of them. It was an unprovoked attack and if I remember Ronnie was fined but that was it. Mike Ganley is still the tournament referee today and its no wonder Ronnie gets away with what he does.
    I think the WSA should appoint another tournament referee, someone who hasn't got any history with Ronnie because it seems he walks all over the current officials because they are too scared of him.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
      I think the WSA should appoint another tournament referee, someone who hasn't got any history with Ronnie because it seems he walks all over the current officials because they are too scared of him.
      LOL

Comment

Mainly they're scared of his fans.

Ronnie was handed a two-year suspended sentence, a £20,000 fine and advised to donate £10,000 to charity after the aussault.

Comment

Originally Posted by gingerale
          Mainly they're scared of his fans.

Ronnie was handed a two-year suspended sentence, a £20,000 fine and advised to donate £10,000 to charity after the aussault.
          Well I for one will be very annoyed if there isn't punishment of some kind. The money doesn't actually mean very much when you've earned over £4 million so I think he should lose ranking points.
          Sir Rodney says Ronnie had detached himself from the apology given, so where's is his apology to the fans and the sponsors!
          Winner of Crucible 77's 2009 World Championship Lucky Dip.

Comment

was mike ganley not the press officer back in 96 when this assault took place?

...and now hes tournament director?

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
              was mike ganley not the press officer back in 96 when this assault took place?

...and now hes tournament director?

I can't remember off the top of my head but as you mentioned it, I think you might be right. Either way, Ronnie certainly wouldn't have much respect for him after that incident.

Comment

Thanks guys and Semih for that pager message

Comment

sorry K D, only just seen this.

no probs

Comment

Working...
                  X