info required on american pool tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info required on american pool tips

i have always used blue diamond 10 mm.it may take 4 or 5 attempts before u get a decent one.they are very inconsistant.i have heard john higgins is using an american pool tip on his snooker cue .its a multi layered tip,anyone know how they play,feel,how much and where to order them from?

try elk master you should get them from your local snooker club that is what most pros use
    www.saltiresnooker.piczo.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's using a Talisman water buffalo tip...I think we've got a few lying around somewhere - I'll take a look....failing that they're usually available on ebay but be aware that they're not cheap - usually around 4-5 pounds
      MaXimumbreak - Where Everyone's a Winner
      It's now free to join!!!
      MaXimumbreak Snooker Store

Comment

thanks maximumbreak i'llgive them a try after the worlds

Comment

I heard that Ronnie is also using these now too....I'll find out more this weekend at the EPT in Liverpool
          It's now free to join!!!

Comment

nice one mb. it would be interesting to know how they play and how they differ from blue diamonds. also if u put them on the same as a snooker tip and shape the same.whats the EPT is it the english pool tour?

Comment

They are Talisman PRO tips and usually soft grade. Quite a few pros are now using these as they are much more consistant and longer lasting than standard Elks and Blue diamonds. I have one on my cue and I'm already converted. They take very little time to 'bed in', they keep their shape, unlike other tips that tend to go flat or lob sided after a while. The thing is though that some players may not like is they are very hard compared to Elks or BD's.

Comment

Well the tip hardness depends on which kind of talismann you are using. The tip that's named 'pro' is the red coloured Pigskin version, which is a harder tip than the blue coloured water buffalo. In my opinion I don't think that the water buffalo is too hard a tip.

These tips are good - they're consistent, easy to shape with good control. However, based on my experience using them for a year or so in 2001-2002, I believe they're difficult to maintain because once you sand through the layers the bond between the layers reduces chalk consumption. Having said that, I think Talisman have improved their glue formula and method of layering so they may be better these days.

I now use triangle tips - also classed as a hard tip but I think these are the most consistent hard wearing tip on the market so if you can get used to them, you'll reap the rewards of a consistent tip because they keep their shape and last a long time. The negative with triangle tips is that I find that many tips in each box are just too hard but if you're serious enough you won't mind finding one that best suits you....

On this note, one of the best pool players in the country is said to have worked his way through a box of blue diamonds to find one he liked!

Happy tipping!
                It's now free to join!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by maximumbreak
                  Well the tip hardness depends on which kind of talismann you are using. The tip that's named 'pro' is the red coloured Pigskin version, which is a harder tip than the blue coloured water buffalo. In my opinion I don't think that the water buffalo is too hard a tip.

Actually its the other way around, the WB (blue) are firmer than the Pro pigskin tips. The WB are only offered in medium and hard whereas the Pro are available in soft grade as well as other harder options.
                  I have tried the WB tips and found them much too hard for my liking, so much so they seem to skid off the cueball and felt like they were only suitable for 9 ball pool.

Comment

Great - thanks for the info...I must have played with the hardest pro pigskin tip and the medium water buffalo - I cut the water buffalo down to fit a 9mm cue so that will have softened it up. I'm curious now....I might have to give the softer pigskin a go although it'll take a lot to put me off triangle tips.
                    It's now free to join!!!

Comment

thanks cueman i'll give them a try. the softer pigskin sounds the best bet

Comment

Working...
                      X