Orange Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Ball

Does any one remember the the trail introduction of an orange ball, i seem to recall this a lot of years ago, or am I wrong? Where was it positioned on the table what was it's value and in what sequence was it played. I hope some one can shed some light on this subject or have I dreamed it?

I think this was the game that Joe (or Fred) Davis tried to promote, the Orange ball with a Purple ball as well, for the mo I cannot remember the name but it has been mentioned every now and then on TSF.
    I will see if I can search it out
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

2 balls were added. Snooker plus
      http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_plus
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ht=purple+ball

doh!
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

We play snooker plus at the club sometimes using the white with a red spot and the yellow with a red spot from a set of Aramith Pro-Cup Tournament Billiard Balls added.

Great fun!

: )
          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Hi,

At some point in the early to mid 1900's I think it was Joe Davis who tried to spice things up adding 2 further colours, I believe it was an orange and a purple. These were placed between the brown and blue and blue and pink.

Never really caught on though, probably due to the fact that most matches were played as best of 135 ish frames or so lol.

Hope this helps.

Ps you can pick up snooker encyclopaedias and other old snooker books in second hand book shops for pennies.

Best wishes

Chris

Comment

I remember playing this at a club in Winkleigh, Devon about 30 odd years ago. I also put a post about it on here. The tables had actual spots for the two balls on them. Orange was valued at 8 points and the Purple 10, if memory serves me.
              You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

It was indeed Snooker Plus, introduced by Joe Davis shortly after he'd made the first official 147 break in 1955. Having achieved the "perfect" frame he felt a new challenge was necessary.

Some years ago on Snooker Break during the World Championships, a viewer asked the studio guest on that occasion, Clive Everton, to explain about the game. Clive commented about the extra balls, scoring etc... then added "there wasn't a maximum break, in fact it wasn't played very much at all and it rather perished for the commercial gimmick that it was".
                Last edited by Cyril; 3 April 2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X