Who Is Mark Williams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is Mark Williams?

It is snooker folklore now that the 'Welsh Potting Machine,' the man who won the World Championship in 2000 and 2003, the man who plays those crazy exhibition shots had his 1998 Masters winner cheque posted to another snooker player called Mark Williams.

I have looked at nearly every snooker tournament link on Wikipedia and I have never come across another Mark Williams. I never heard it mentioned on these forums or on commentary.

So who is Mark Williams?

Not quite sure what your talking about, have you been on the drink?
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Maybe this guy: http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/players.php?ID=2995 ?

Comment

He appeared very briefly in a tournament (Masters probably) insert or something, there was a scene where MJW says to the guy "Can I get/have my money back? "...

Comment

That is why the better known one started using his middle initial of J to stop it happening again

Comment

Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
            The guy who beat him 5-4 at the top of the page i beat once when i drew him in the final of the team KO..........no wonder nobody's heard of him.
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
              Not quite sure what your talking about, have you been on the drink?
              Judging others by your own standards ay SouthPaw. :very_drunk:

btw, that's a great quote.

-
              The fast and the furious,
              The slow and labourious,
              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                Judging others by your own standards ay SouthPaw. :very_drunk:

btw, that's a great quote.

-
                Well you could be right people in glass houses and all that =p

There's been some great contradictory quotes from the commentators throughout the years...

By the way still haven't received my signed picture, bad times lol.
                Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                  By the way still haven't received my signed picture, bad times lol.
                  haha! Very pleased to hear that, nice one ferret!

-
                  The fast and the furious,
                  The slow and labourious,
                  All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

The 'other' Mark Williams turned pro the same year as Mark J. Williams and entered the World Championship qualifiers for five years, 1993-97. He won two matches during that time.

He entered the World qualifying in 1993 one round later than Mark J. Williams, though because this was the first 'open' year this may well have been pretty randomly arrived at rather than rankings or performance based - the majority of the draw, some 500 players, would have had no previous performances to compare.

I'll look up his details more fully when I get home this evening and find out a little more about him.

Another such pairing is Paul Davison. The current professional of that name (possibly just gone off the tour?) was known as Paul S. Davison and has only recently lost the S initial.

Paul 'No Initial' Davison like Williams played 1993-97 and Paul S. Davison was around from 1993 as well, until at least 2005 unbroken.

Comment

Let's see if we ever have Thanawat W. Tirapongpaiboon?

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                        The 'other' Mark Williams turned pro the same year as Mark J. Williams and entered the World Championship qualifiers for five years, 1993-97. He won two matches during that time.

He entered the World qualifying in 1993 one round later than Mark J. Williams, though because this was the first 'open' year this may well have been pretty randomly arrived at rather than rankings or performance based - the majority of the draw, some 500 players, would have had no previous performances to compare.

I'll look up his details more fully when I get home this evening and find out a little more about him.

Another such pairing is Paul Davison. The current professional of that name (possibly just gone off the tour?) was known as Paul S. Davison and has only recently lost the S initial.

Paul 'No Initial' Davison like Williams played 1993-97 and Paul S. Davison was around from 1993 as well, until at least 2005 unbroken.
                        There have also been two David Gilberts on the tour, though they didn't overlap (Dave Gilbert from 1985 to 1994, David Gilbert from 1997); unlike the other pairs, they both reached the top 100 in the world (Dave peaked at 57, David so far at 43). There was also Nigel Gilbert around at about the same time as Dave.

Comment

With the onset of the Snooker Legends tour the past couple of years, I reckon they should sign up both players called Mark Williams and have them play an exhibition. They could label it as a big grudge match, years in the making.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post

Thanks, this was the answer that I was looking for. I consistently go through Wikipedia scorecards and watch old videos and have never heard of 'this' Mark Williams.

Comment

Not a Pro(well not back then) but there used to be a lad who used to play at our club called John Porrit......used to make me chuckle.
                              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Working...
                              X