Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snooker and Pool Together - A Distraction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker and Pool Together - A Distraction?

Hi All,

I have just got back from playing a nice yet competitive friendly match in a new venue and although the table was not particularly bad (no rips etc), there were pool tables in the same room. This has never really bothered me but one lad playing pool had a thunderous break and with his frames only lasting (what seemed like) a couple of minutes, the noise became a bit of a distraction.

Has anyone ever had this issue or are people used to the noise and I am just being an old goat?

What have people/clubs done to eliminate this issue?

Cheers,

There is nothing that can be done without a large venue.

I play both. When I play pool, myself and my team cheer every single shot and every black sunk like it's the FA cup final.

Then hypocritically, when I play snooker I expect something approaching a respectful silence... To have both games in the same room is pretty tricky.

Comment

I have experienced this scenario more than a few times. To be honest I am able to zone out a lot of noise as I am ultra-focused when playing my shots so it's never really affected me. Hell, I played a 9-ball money match where the opponents crowd were blowing air-horns while I was down on the shot and it didn't affect me the way they wanted it to.

I prefer a bit of ambience to none. Main reason why - nobody can have the excuse of losing due to hearing someone breathe! There is something quite beautiful about going into a proper snooker room where it is very quiet. I hate playing where you have a bunch of chavs who just cause a riot.

Comment

I don't think the games can be played in the same room. Pool feels to me like it has its origins in pubs, and drink goes hand in hand with that. This in turn means more loud and blokey behaviour. Nothing wrong with that, or in having pool and snooker in the same venue but they need to be in different rooms, or screened off and sound-proofed!
        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

I'm thankful my club doesn't have any pool tables, even though I still play in 9ball comps occasionally. Extreme difficulty of snooker tables seems to drive drunks and loudmouths away, but unfortunately, not entirely...

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
            I'm thankful my club doesn't have any pool tables, even though I still play in 9ball comps occasionally. Extreme difficulty of snooker tables seems to drive drunks and loudmouths away, but unfortunately, not entirely...
            I wish it would at my local snooker club. They shove all the chavs in the big room with 6 tables who treat the tables badly.

Comment

Frames in Coulsden have it right. The bar, pool tables and big screen TVs are downstairs. The snooker tables are all upstairs, and there are 2 private rooms with excellent tables. The snooker room is basically insulated from all the noise, and you seldom get anyone up there who isn't there for the snooker, and behaves accordingly.
              "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
              X