Dominant or preferred eye ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominant or preferred eye ??

There has been a lively discussion on the coaching thread about whether players use their dominant or preferred eye to put the cue on the line of aim, so lets have a poll of forum members to discover who does what.

Do the dominant eye test and then when down in your snooker stance close one eye and then the other and see with which eye the cue is on the line of aim. With one eye the cue will follow the line of aim through the centre of the cue ball while with the other the cue will look to come from outside the line of aim to the centre of the cue ball.

1) Does the cue follow the line of aim through your dominant eye yes

2) Does the cue follow the line of aim through your submissive eye

3) Is your dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand no

4) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye opposite to your dominant hand yes right hand left eye

5) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand

6) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand

7) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the opposite side of you dominant hand

8) Does your cue not follow the line of aim with either eye

9) What is your highest break both match and practise 86 match, uncounted total clearance in practise

my answers in red
    Last edited by vmax4steve; 3 August 2013, 03:36 PM.

For me:

1. NO 2. YES 3. YES (as is 70% of the male population) 4. Combined stance, sight left, right-hander 5. see 4 6. see 4 7. see4 8. NO 9. Match - 138, practice - 147.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      For me:

1. NO 2. YES 3. YES (as is 70% of the male population) 4. Combined stance, sight left, right-hander 5. see 4 6. see 4 7. see4 8. NO 9. Match - 138, practice - 147.

Terry
      question 4 Terry, boxer stance ? combined, what does that mean ?
      Last edited by vmax4steve; 3 August 2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

It means my stance is a combination of square and boxer. So my left foot is about 4" or so in front of my right, heels have about one shoulder width between them and both feet point outwards around 30* or so to prevent strain on the ankles and knees.

I guess you could call it 'squoxer' I'm fairly flexible for an old fart.

My cue is centre-chin with the head pointed about 10* to the right so the cue is about 1/4" closer to my left eye than the right. I see a solid line with my left eye and use that as my preferred sighting eye. Moving the cue more to the left or turning my head more leads to a broken line on the SightRite and I also can't confirm my sighting line too well.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

1,Yes
          2,No
          3,Yes
          4,No
          5,Yes
          9, 46 and 100 plus on line up(14red with pink black on table)
          Left handed, left eye dominant
          Last edited by itsnoteasy; 6 August 2013, 11:36 AM.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

1) Does the cue follow the line of aim through your dominant eye no

2) Does the cue follow the line of aim through your submissive eye no

3) Is your dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand yes

4) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye opposite to your dominant hand no

5) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand no

6) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand yes, right handed, right eye dominant

7) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the opposite side of you dominant hand no

8) Does your cue not follow the line of aim with either eye don't know

9) What is your highest break both match and practise 134 line-up drill, 86 practise match, 66 tournament match

I cue centre chin always. Turning head slightly, side of the chin...no change whatsoever for me.
            Last edited by ace man; 5 August 2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Answer nine Ace man, harsh but fair.

Comment

1) Does the cue follow the line of aim through your dominant eye NO

2) Does the cue follow the line of aim through your submissive eye KIND OF - NOT COMPLETELY

3) Is your dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand YES

4) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye opposite to your dominant hand NO

5) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand YES

6) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand NO

7) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the opposite side of you dominant hand NO

8) Does your cue not follow the line of aim with either eye MORE WITH ONE THEN THE OTHER

9) What is your highest break both match and practise 147 practise match, 143 tournament match,

Comment

Five answers, five different answers, very interesting.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post

9) What is your highest break both match and practise 86 practise match, 66 tournament match, solo practise doesn't count
                    It does in this instance as I wish to know your ability as regards to set up, not whether or not you crumble under pressure in match situations.
                    The point of this thread is to try to ascertain whether those who sight with a dominant or prefered eye are of a better standard than those who do not or vice versa.

Oh and please state which hand and which eye is dominant.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      It does in this instance as I wish to know your ability as regards to set up, not whether or not you crumble under pressure in match situations.
                      The point of this thread is to try to ascertain whether those who sight with a dominant or prefered eye are of a better standard than those who do not or vice versa.

Oh and please state which hand and which eye is dominant.
                      Ok then. Line up clearence of 134 was my best effort. Only had 4 tons in such type of practice, they do not come easy at all. I think I did another on cross line up which is harder but silly me did not count properly.
                      People, sorry for being so harsh about solo practice breaks. Bring them on...

Right handed, right eye dominant. Hope this helps. I will edit my original response so that it fits easier into your database of TSF player's sighting styles...

Oh...the rest? I haven't got a clue how I sight using it. Will check as I'm not bad with it.

Comment

4) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye opposite to your dominant hand no

5) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand no

6) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand no

7) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the opposite side of you dominant hand yes, right handed, dominant left eye

8) Does your cue not follow the line of aim with either eye yes

9) What is your highest break both match and practice 38 highest break in match, highest break in practice around 50
                        Box the chimp.

Comment

4) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye opposite to your dominant hand yes right hand left eye no

6) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the same side as your dominant hand no

7) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the opposite side of you dominant hand yes

8) Does your cue not follow the line of aim with either eye no
                          9) What is your highest break both match and practise 54/87
                          mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

1) Does the cue follow the line of aim through your dominant eye - sometimes depending on distance of the shot - or level of accuracy required

4) Do you have a boxer stance with your sighting/dominant eye opposite to your dominant hand yes right hand left eye

7) Do you have a square stance with your sighting/dominant eye on the opposite side of you dominant hand no

8) Does your cue not follow the line of aim with either eye most of the time on easy short or mid distance shots yes

9) What is your highest break both match and practise 130 match, 147 in practice.

my answers in red

Must say I never really paid attention to what I do sighting wise before this question its just a natural thing - never worked it out before. What is the reason for asking?

Comment

Working...
                            X