Fake snooker balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake snooker balls

I'm not too sure if another member has started a thread similar to this. I apologise if this subject has been talked about before. How do you know if the snooker balls are fake or not?

I was cleaning my Aramith TC balls yesterday but I noticed that the balls didn't feel right in weight one ball felt heavier than a few of the other balls. I don't know if that's just me but they didn't seem right at all. As I was cleaning them I noticed that they started to squeak, after I restored and cleaned them. Is it normal for a set of snooker balls to do this? I have noticed this happen when I got them but I didn't thin anything off it at the time. Is it normal for the balls to sightly vary in size? How would I go about measuring the snooker balls?

I bought this set of TC on eBay, I had raised concerns about the set back then but I was reassured by the seller that they were geniue. Although 4 months on and I'm still having concerns, surely this isn't normal?!! I paid £85.96 plus £12.50 for the postage from England. They came on the peradon case that I am getting rid of. I think I may have had my eye wiped but here's hoping that I haven't.

It would be interesting to hear from you guys.

Thanks

I suppose the only way to tell is to measure the diameter using a micrometer, and weigh them accurately, they should be around 141 grams each. If they are the cheaper balls i think they are around 130 grams ???

Comment

I don't know about the squeak but I do know that Aramith TC balls should weigh +/-142grams and are 2 1/16inch or 52.3mm and standard Aramith 2/16 balls weigh +/-127grams.

I purchased a second hand set of TC's for AUS$65 and found that the yellow and blue were just standard balls. Thankfully there is a company here that is able to supply individual TC and they cost me AUS$32 to replace... so all in all a pretty cheap set of TC's.
      Cheers,
      Mick

edit: jrc beat me to it

Comment

Yeah mine squeak when I give them a good clean.

As for the weight, have you got some kitchen scales you can stick them on to see how much each ball weighs? You'll soon see if they're miles off. As others have said, I think mine are 141 grams, and they're all spot on.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

To be balls that would meet the approval of the WPBSA, and therefore be acceptable for use in tournament play, the lightest should weigh no less than 140g and the heaviest no more than 142g. The diameter of each ball should be 52.5mm +/- 0.05mm. As stated above, a micrometer should be used to measure this.

Comment

Originally Posted by t.lavery55 View Post
            To be balls that would meet the approval of the WPBSA, and therefore be acceptable for use in tournament play, the lightest should weigh no less than 140g and the heaviest no more than 142g. The diameter of each ball should be 52.5mm +/- 0.05mm. As stated above, a micrometer should be used to measure this.
            do the WPBSA rules require a specific weight? I thought the rules of snooker they publish only state that there should not be more than a 3g difference between the lightest and heaviest in the set?

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
              do the WPBSA rules require a specific weight? I thought the rules of snooker they publish only state that there should not be more than a 3g difference between the lightest and heaviest in the set?
              That's the official rules, but WS use the 1g set, which have a 1 gram tolerance.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
                That's the official rules, but WS use the 1g set, which have a 1 gram tolerance.
                well yes, but I was querying t.lavery55's assertion that the weight must be 140g to 142g ... as far as I know, the rules do not say that ...

Comment

Hi Laverda,would you mind sharing, who in Oz sells the TC individually ?
                  Thank you.
                  Originally Posted by laverda View Post
                  I don't know about the squeak but I do know that Aramith TC balls should weigh +/-142grams and are 2 1/16inch or 52.3mm and standard Aramith 2/16 balls weigh +/-127grams.

I purchased a second hand set of TC's for AUS$65 and found that the yellow and blue were just standard balls. Thankfully there is a company here that is able to supply individual TC and they cost me AUS$32 to replace... so all in all a pretty cheap set of TC's.
                  Cheers,
                  Mick

edit: jrc beat me to it
                  " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

No probs George,
                    Mal Atwell out of Perth and Melbourne...

http://www.malatwell.com.au

and here is the direct link to the TC balls

http://www.malatwell.com.au/pool-sno...l-colours.html

Cheers,
                    Mick

Comment

on the fake sets i have seen the blue is a slightly different colour.
                      if you paid £86 for a new set they are fake for sure because they are more than that at trade these days.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

If you've got a nice friendly local Post Office take a few of the balls in and weight them. Suggest you weight the white, black and a couple of the suspect ones. Might give you an indication if you've got a rogue set or not. Not unheard of to have a "light white" or to have a couple of dodgy reds which have found there way into the set by accident. A brand new set should be perfect of course but with second hand you don't know what you're getting. Best stay away from e-bay IMO when buying stuff like this. False economy.

Comment

Many thanks,
                          I now now who to contact when the inevitable happens.
                          " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                            on the fake sets i have seen the blue is a slightly different colour.
                            if you paid £86 for a new set they are fake for sure because they are more than that at trade these days.
                            The seller was originally selling the balls and case for £100 there were used but he did tell me that they were genuine set. I have weighed the balls and each ball is weighing in at 4oz is that normal? I just cleaned the balls the other day. I have attached a photo to let you see what they are like.

image.jpg

Here's a photo when I just got them.

image.jpg

Comment

Thank y everyone for your input, I don't think they are fake but I'm sure someone on here could be bale to tell me better. I think I avoid eBay at all cost if I'm going to buy a set of snooker balls because you don't know your really buying on that site....

Comment

Working...
                              X