Rules Help Please !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Help Please !

Hi, I should know the answer to this, but am not 100% on it, if somebody could help out, would be much appreciated.
    Scenario: I am 7 points ahead with only the black left on the table, so my opponent needs the black to draw. I try to play a very thin cut safety shot, but miss the black - my oponent states that its game over, and I lose ? - but I am wondering if that should just be 7 points away, so the scores are now tied, and the game continues ?
    I thought to lose the game on a foul on the final black is only when both players need the black to win ?
    Can anybody clarify - thanks in advance.

Points are even so re -spot black required.

Comment

with the 7 points given to the non-offending player, the scores are now level.
      It is now a respotted Black situation. Essentially you now toss a coin or something to choose who breaks the Black, then the first score or foul ends the frame.

sec3 4. End of Frame, Game or Match
      (a) When Black is the only object ball remaining on the table, the first score or foul ends the frame excepting only if the following conditions both apply:
      ...(i) the scores are then equal; and
      ...(ii) aggregate scores are not relevant.
      (b) When both conditions in (a) above apply:
      ...(i) the Black is spotted;
      ...(ii) the players draw lots for choice of playing next;
      ...(iii) the next player plays from in-hand; and
      ...(iv) the next score or foul ends the frame.
      (c) When aggregate scores determine the winner of a game or match, and the aggregate scores are equal at the end of the last frame, the players in that frame shall follow the procedure for a re-spotted Black set out in (b) above.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Many thanks guys !

Comment

Originally Posted by Daniel401965 View Post
          I thought to lose the game on a foul on the final black is only when both players need the black to win ?
          Yes, normally the first foul or pot on the black ends the frame, UNLESS (as Dean quotes in the rules), as a result of putting those points on the board the scores are then level (or aggregate scores in the final frame of the match), in which case the black is respotted.

Just a reminder that the cue ball is also played from in hand (and not where it came to rest), and that a toss of the coin at this stage gives the winner of the toss the choice as to whether to play first or second.

Comment

I was in a similar situation once where it was the deciding frame of a match and I was only 7 points ahead I played the black which jawed and ran along the side cushion and stopped on the baulk side of the centre pocket, the cue ball went in off. the scores were now even. My opponent placed the cue ball in the 'D' and was just about to pot the black when I reminded him that because the scores were now even that it was now a re-spot black and a toss of a coin to decide who would break. I won the toss, sent him in and the black was left near a pocket for me to pot and win the match. We both were chasing up a rule book to verify the rule which I agree is a bit unfair when your opponent feels he should be rewarded for his opponents foul stroke.

Comment

He was rewarded . . . he got 7 points.
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                He was rewarded . . . he got 7 points.
                Exactly !! plus he has a chance to now win the frame

Comment

Working...
                X