Foul on Purpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
    Yes, I can understand this though. Holt is 94 in arrears with just 27 on. 67 points = 17 four point snookers - and with ROS ability, probably means 54 snookers. I think Ronnie was making a point.

Comment

I'd like to use this thread to ask a question regarding deliberate fouls and the attitude to adopt in this case.

A month ago, in my regional league ranking tournament, one of my club mates was facing a guy who has a reputation for cheating. What happenned is that this guy played several deliberate fouls during the game. He was snookered and for example made no effort to try to escape. He just played the wrong ball, on purpose, to make a deliberate foul. Knowing that we don't use the miss rule anymore this season (way too many abuses from people who didn't use the rule properly....like the same guy in fact) and we generally play without a referee...

What are you supposed to do?? Tell the guy the frame is over? It is obviously an unsportmanlike conduct so usually a ref would give a warning or even dock the frame....
      Call for somebody else to act as a ref and take a decision? Having the balls replaced?
      What if, playing a foul on purpose, the guy put you in a bad spot?? we don't use the miss rule so no possibility of replacing the balls...

I really looking forward to your answers guys as I am sure he's going to do it again and if I play him, I need to gete the rulebook on my side and shut his big mouth up...:P
      Last edited by Erwan_BZH; 2 January 2014, 11:15 AM.
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

It is a difficult one when there is no referee, but presumably there is someone acting as Tournament Director? If there are ever any rules queries during a match, or questions about behaviour (such as 'ungentlemanly conduct') then these ought to be referred to the TD for adjudication. He is the person ultimately responsible for the tournament, and his decision is final. He'll be the only one who can award frames for lateness, conduct, etc.

If this guy's opponents regularly questioned his actions with the TD then he might either realise he can't get away with his tactics and stop acting like he does, or the TD might take action, to warn him, award frames, or even disqualify him.

Comment

Erwan

This can be a difficult scenario. In the league I play in, the secretary of the league is a qualified grade 1 ref, and I am also a qualified referee. In the first instance during a match like this, I would call a foul and a miss, whether it is used or not, as it is a statutory rule of snooker. I would also warn the person concerned that he is guilty of ungentlemanly conduct and that if he continues to play deliberate fouls I would award the frame to his opponent.

I would then write to the secretary of the league and make him aware of the situation, and forward a motion for the forthcoming AGM that the person concerned would be written to and warned that he would be banned from playing in the league for his conduct. In the Brighton and Hove league, I am confident that this would be upheld.

Of course, if you have no qualified refs in your team, you can only take the second course of action, but if you have a decent committee they would uphold the decision. I am sure you would get a lot of support from the rest of your league, if this guy has a reputation for deliberate cheating.

I have to say that it is the worst kind of sportsmanship, and should not be tolerated in any circumstances

Comment

Oh and don't forget, if he plays a deliberate foul and leaves you in a difficult position - you have the option of making him play again. Sooner or later he will have to play a shot properly, or just lose too many points on his fouls.

Comment

Its a foul and a miss if you play the rule or not in your league. Thats the rules as this is obviously deliberate. And yes then inform who ever is running the league and a warning from them should sort the problem.
              2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes it is really a delicate situation. For sure I would advise the TD to have a close watch on the game but I would really expect him to dock the guy a frame at some point. My mate told me his opponent played at least 4-5 times the deliberate foul during the very same game. This is totally unacceptable...
                The very same guy drove me mad last year when he forced me to swallow several 'fou & a miss' in a game while he had golden opportunities after the foul with reds everywhere and at least 50/60-pt breaks on the table...He did it 8-10 times...Unbelievable!
                Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by dieselman147 View Post
                  Its a foul and a miss if you play the rule or not in your league. Thats the rules as this is obviously deliberate. And yes then inform who ever is running the league and a warning from them should sort the problem.

Can I force him to play again using the foul& a miss, even if it has been discarded for the season?

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
                    Can I force him to play again using the foul& a miss, even if it has been discarded for the season?
                    Even if a foul and a miss is not normally called during your league, an exception should be made for cases when it is indisputable that the miss was deliberate. (Unless Black is the only object ball remaining).

Comment

Working...
                    X