Rules Clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Clarification

Hi can anyone help me out with the following questions. Firstly I would like to know if you are allowed to snooker directly behind a free ball if only the pink and black are remaining? My second question is if your opponent went in off and the ball is in hand and u place the white in the D, is it a foul if you move the white with the tip of the cue? I recently got called a foul in a local snooker league match and the referee insisted I had committed a foul as the tip had made contact with the cue ball and only the shaft was allowed I argued and explained I was lining up the pot and had seen many players even on tv moving the white with the top of the cue but he wasn't having any of it

Rules Clarification

1 yes, with only pink and black left on table you can snooker behind the nominated free ball (the black).
    2 when you see this on tv they use the shaft of the cue not the tip. the ref was correct if you had touched the cue ball with the tip this is defined as a stroke and you had not hit the cue ball to contact a ball on in the same stroke.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

5. Playing from In-hand
      To play from in-hand, the cue-ball must be struck from a position on or within the lines of the “D”, but it may be played in any direction.
      (a) The referee will state, if asked, whether the cue-ball is properly placed (that is, not outside the lines of the “D”).
      (b) If the tip of the cue should touch the cue-ball while positioning it, and the referee is satisfied that the striker was not attempting to play a stroke, then the cue-ball is not in play.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
      http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Don't think you're right in No 2 Dean. I'll read my rule book later but I think the ref needs to believe you were intending to cue the white ball. If you're standing up and positioning the white with your cue then no foul whether shaft or tip.

Comment

Thanks Snookerdad, better explanation than my garbled one!

Comment

Never knew that .....always thought that it was a foul shot .

So effectively , you could be in an upright position , move the white round with the tip of your cue and not get penalised .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
              So effectively , you could be in an upright position , move the white round with the tip of your cue and not get penalised .
              Correct, bit different if you're bending down and feathering the white.

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                It is in World Rules pool!

Comment

Snookerdad is spot on with his answer to the OP''s question.

Comment

Working...
                  X