Refereeing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refereeing Question

Player is forcing a black off the spot. It wobbles and jumps to the top of the rail and runs along. We have all seen the famous flukes where the ball runs along and drops in the other corner.

What if it stops and finishes on top of the cushion?

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
    Player is forcing a black off the spot. It wobbles and jumps to the top of the rail and runs along. We have all seen the famous flukes where the ball runs along and drops in the other corner.

What if it stops and finishes on top of the cushion?
    It will have come to rest other than on the bed of the table or in a pocket, so therefore it would be a foul. It would be respotted and the non-offender would have the usual options: play from the position left, make the offender play from the position left, or possibly have the option of a free ball., or indeed have the balls replaced if a miss had been called.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
      It will have come to rest other than on the bed of the table or in a pocket, so therefore it would be a foul. It would be respotted and the non-offender would have the usual options: play from the position left, make the offender play from the position left, or possibly have the option of a free ball., or indeed have the balls replaced if a miss had been called.
      Foul 7 and respot the black?

Comment

Foul 7 and respot the black?
        As I said, it would be respotted. The foul would be seven, unless the black had been taken as a free ball for a lesser value.

Comment

Had It been a free ball I'd obviously have mentioned that.

A friend of mine was at some sort of refereeing conference near Preston the other week and was told by a "ref" that you just roll the ball back onto the table. Thought I was going nuts.

Comment

Also, if the Black was the only ball on the table, the Black would not be respotted after stopping off the bed of the table, but the penalty points (seven), would be awarded and the frame finished.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Had It been a free ball I'd obviously have mentioned that.

A friend of mine was at some sort of refereeing conference near Preston the other week and was told by a "ref" that you just roll the ball back onto the table. Thought I was going nuts.
              Never heard of that? Who was running the conference? Did your friend hear the comment correctly? Maybe you are going nuts? Are we all?
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                Never heard of that? Who was running the conference? Did your friend hear the comment correctly? Maybe you are going nuts? Are we all?
                I'll try to find out. She asked me the question. I said foul and respot. She said no, and so it began.....;-)

Comment

Working...
                X