When did the game end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the game end?

This question actually arose during a game of pool. I realize there are as many sets of rules for pool as there are pool players (if there is a definitive set of rules I'd like to see it) but it led me to wonder what would have happened during a game of snooker.
    All the numbered balls had been potted and only the cue ball and the black (No8) balls remained on the table. I potted the black ball and a couple of seconds later the cue ball dropped into a pocket. I claimed that since the potting of the black ball signaled the end of the game, the cue ball entering the pocket a few seconds afterwards was irrelevant and thus a foul was not committed. I was shouted down by several bystanders and forced to forfeit the game.
    Was I right or wrong?

Wrong any rules I played.

Comment

Wrong I'm afraid. You lost the frame
      The stroke and turn does not finish until all balls have come to a rest, and the game does not finish until the end of a stroke/turn - applies to both pool (all rules that I know of - UK) and snooker (and billiards).
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

You were definitely wrong by blackball rules :-

"5. Black Ball
        Black ball is played with 15 colored object balls and the cue ball. The object balls are two groups of seven and the black ball. The player or team pocketing their group of object balls and legally pocketing the black ball wins the game."

"6. Fouls
        The following actions are fouls at pool when included in the specific rules of the game being played. If several fouls occur on one shot, only the most serious one is enforced. If a foul is not called before the next shot begins, the foul is assumed not to have happened.

6.1 Cue Ball Scratch or off the Table
        If the cue ball is pocketed or driven off the table, the shot is a foul."

The shot on the black, isn't over until all the balls come to rest.

IMHO

Damit Dean, too quick for me.
        Last edited by billabong; 19 September 2014, 11:54 AM. Reason: Dean was too quick, and used less words, better !

Comment

As Dean has said, a shot is not complete until all balls have come to rest, and any equipment removed from the table. The timing of the black entering the pocket is irrelevant. For the pot to be legal (in pool or snooker) the shot needs to be completed without any foul being committed.

Comment

Working...
          X