No announcement yet.

is snooker dying out in uk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think matt hit the nail on the head the keenness of youngsters today is the key for progress in all areas,the problem arises that they soon get fed up because they have so much choice of what to do with there time.

Comment

Originally Posted by matt926_uk View Post
      I went to the champion of champions last year in coventry, and it wasn't like that at all. I sat next to a young lady who was cheering on Ding!, it was a great experience and i will be going again this year. Granted most smaller tournaments aren't like that though
      A young lady cheering on ding in Coventry is not quite what I meant about crowd atmosphere

Comment

I totally agree it has to be about getting youngsters involved, and if that means noise and excitement from the crowd, so be it, for me it would destroy the game, but I have had my time at being young and things change so it might have to be the answer.
        I'm not sure if it's other distraction, or more how hard the game is, we had five or so young lads play for a while, they all pushed each other on and all improved but I don't see them now ,a couple went to play pool, because it was easier and they were instantly at a higher standard, one very rarely comes and gives me a few frames of snooker and the most annoying thing is, he has it, if he stuck in he could be a decent player, but he's winning and getting into pool finals now, so that's more interesting to him, but I keep chipping away at him to come over to the large side lol, and I think in a couple of years he will.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
          A young lady cheering on ding in Coventry is not quite what I meant about crowd atmosphere
          The atmosphere was great, but then it was ronnie v ding

Comment

Yeah, i like it when its quiet when the players are playing, the silence is more dramatic, might not come across on tv so much but then its nice when the crowd get involved and cheer in between shots and frames

Comment

i am of the opinion of the guy who mentioned that the sport doesn't need loads of youngsters for it to continue and get in the audiances or it will die.

on the contrary, there will always be those who will take up the game seriously and become a pro, but the majority of us just play for the love of the game.

there are numerous examples of sports that are popular, yet there are very few that get to the opportunities to participate as a pro.

the example given earlier in the post was F1 is hugely popular yet how many young go cart enthusiast are there.

so i think snooker will contuinue to grow and audiances will still keep on watching no matter what

Comment

I've been lucky to be involved with three clubs ie worked in them and funnily enough its not the core that keeps them going its the casual players you just need them to come in on different days, and there's nothing more irritating than being told that the table is booked and its just sitting there doing fxxxxxl. then then this geezer comes in and practices for a couple of hours with his parris tea towel and his bottle of water and I could prob spot him 50.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                  i am of the opinion of the guy who mentioned that the sport doesn't need loads of youngsters for it to continue and get in the audiances or it will die.

on the contrary, there will always be those who will take up the game seriously and become a pro, but the majority of us just play for the love of the game.

there are numerous examples of sports that are popular, yet there are very few that get to the opportunities to participate as a pro.

the example given earlier in the post was F1 is hugely popular yet how many young go cart enthusiast are there.

so i think snooker will contuinue to grow and audiances will still keep on watching no matter what
                  Not so much the top end of the sport needs it but the clubs do, I would like to know the average age of people who go into the clubs we all play at, I reckon its in the forties in my club, for snooker anyway, pool there are younger players but not that many.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Not so much the top end of the sport needs it but the clubs do, I would like to know the average age of people who go into the clubs we all play at, I reckon its in the forties in my club, for snooker anyway, pool there are younger players but not that many.
                    It depends what clubs you are talking about , if it's your social/ working mans club then the majority or over 40 out club probably has an average age of 50.

But if u go to the dedicated snooker halls and academies which have plenty of tables they usually attract the younger kids. These clubs are usually no drinking no noise, many there are your serious players who will just spend hours practicing in silence . Boring but effective

Comment

Never been to one of those Alabadi, are they good? What about prices and tables etc.

Comment

I go to the Sheffield snooker Academy once a week. All the pros have been there at one time or another. And u bump into top amateurs as well.

Prices are not cheap £8 an hour, however if you spend 5 hours it's £30 and 8 hours , i.e all day works out at £5 an hour so u pay £40.

The tables are pristine star tables and the rooms are air conditioned very very nice. I love it. If it weren't for the price id go more often.

Comment

Only big problem with the Star Academy is it's only open 10am-6pm. When most people are working. It caters mainly for the overseas players. I will agree it's a great venue. Just wish it opened in the evenings. Me & my mates go once a month (normally on a Sunday)

Comment

that's ridiculous if the star academy is only open those hours. ...I imagine lots of dosh would be made if it was open evenings and later in the night ie when most working people would be able to use it! !

Comment

Not really meant for normal working people tho is it!

Comment

why isn't it?? it's a facility with snooker tables in it, well maintained and a pleasant environment to play in. Why wouldn't you want to maximise the revenue generated from it. The staffing costs would be outweighed by the extra income. No wonder snooker's dying if a facility like that shuts up shop just when many potential customers are alienated by opening times similar to the office they've just left!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X