No announcement yet.

is snooker dying out in uk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess to keep out the riff raff, only dedicated aspiring pros/current pros allowed

Comment

The star academy was originally only set up for the overseas players to have a practice base so they could improve their game in preperation for the main tour.

Its only in recent years has it been opened up for the general public to go along and play on these tables. Most of their revenue comes from overseas clients who come over for a few weeks at a time and are put up in good quality accomodation and have meals cooked for them.

Its a great set up and the best time to go is on a weekend as its quieter so you should get a table unless they have a comp on which they do from time to time. Keith who runs it just lets you get on with your game, you have access to the kitchen area to make yourself a drink, its fantastic and can't recommend it enough. Only thing is you need to be pretty good to adapt to these tables as players who aren't will really struggle with the pace and tight pockets.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        Only thing is you need to be pretty good to adapt to these tables as players who aren't will really struggle with the pace and tight pockets.
        So true from personal experience in the past. Its almost as if you need a new cue action after a lifetime of slapping balls around on slow club tables.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          I guess to keep out the riff raff
          See Golf, Clubs, dying on their a**e......
          same scenario. Being elitist does nothing for grass roots development of the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
            See Golf, Clubs, dying on their a**e......
            same scenario. Being elitist does nothing for grass roots development of the game.
            I guess there are plenty of snooker clubs in Sheffield, this is an academy

Comment

is snooker dying out in uk?

only 5 or 6 I think

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                only 5 or 6 I think
                That's enough isn't it??

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  The star academy was originally only set up for the overseas players to have a practice base so they could improve their game in preperation for the main tour.

Its only in recent years has it been opened up for the general public to go along and play on these tables. Most of their revenue comes from overseas clients who come over for a few weeks at a time and are put up in good quality accomodation and have meals cooked for them.

Its a great set up and the best time to go is on a weekend as its quieter so you should get a table unless they have a comp on which they do from time to time. Keith who runs it just lets you get on with your game, you have access to the kitchen area to make yourself a drink, its fantastic and can't recommend it enough. Only thing is you need to be pretty good to adapt to these tables as players who aren't will really struggle with the pace and tight pockets.
                  If a table hasn't got tight pockets i won't play simple,but can understand the run of the mill player wanting football goal pockets

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    That's enough isn't it??
                    Used to be about 14

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                      If a table hasn't got tight pockets i won't play simple,but can understand the run of the mill player wanting football goal pockets
                      I find that quite strange Leo, I would play on anything ,just love playing.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        I find that quite strange Leo, I would play on anything ,just love playing.
                        good point about loving the game,but playing with big pockets just feel like cheating to a point, a bit like a dartboard having bigger number areas,I recon if I got my head down on one of these big pocket tables i would certantly beat my 128 i would think,but beating it for me on a table with irregular pockets wouldn't give me a buzz

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                          good point about loving the game,but playing with big pockets just feel like cheating to a point, a bit like a dartboard having bigger number areas,I recon if I got my head down on one of these big pocket tables i would certantly beat my 128 i would think,but beating it for me on a table with irregular pockets wouldn't give me a buzz
                          I will play on anything too but for me its not the size of the pockets that puts me off - its the speed of the cloths - Playing on a match table with fast cloth and steel blocked cushions G1s and good lighting can not be bettered in my opinion. Decent tables make decent players - Most of us on here play a totally different game than the pro's condition wise. They don't need to whack it around to get position as much - and cannon the pack on a match table and the pack splits lovely. Sometimes on club tables you need to hit them with a sledge hammer - the pockets are tighter on a match table yes but on a fast thin cloth it does not turn off with the nap and because you don't need to whack it encourages a nicer smoother cue action to develop - if your stroking it they go in and tighter pockets do help you concentrate more because they are unforgiving. The lighting matters too - cant beat proper lighting - how many clubs still have coffin lids with dull lighting urrr.

Most local clubs are in the dark ages still using old tackle old tables and this is not showing any foresight - Maybe if a every club or a few of them invested in a few Star tables or aristocrats then they would find a number of good players flock back to play - in turn inspiring others to play or improve - Its worth paying a bit more to play on a good table. I'm not saying fill the club with them but one or two great tables to appeal to everyone would possibly help the cause.

Also at grass roots we need more comps and sponsorship of leagues - perhaps a free junior club on Saturday-Sunday mornings with coaching to inspire the next generations of youngsters to pick up a cue.
                          It also helps to have a few more people doing great write ups in the local press like Neil Tapperell - Have I spelled that right?

On the national side of things a 1 million first prize for the worlds does say to youngsters this is a game worth taking up - Rooney earns more in a week than the top prize in our game and the money has not actually gone up - discounting inflation - for years.
                          It would be nice too if the association or our government gave sporting grants - like they do with other sports - as this would help our new generation of youngsters with the expenses of competing in what is now a world wide sport - taking the edge off if they break onto the tour for a few years at least.

That's my 2 pence worth.

Comment

The free time in playing snooker is limited, i would prefer to play in better condition, of course it includes the quality of snooker table. Otherwise , I would play other sport. From marketing pont of view, the life cycle of snooker is decling in uk, but expanding in other counties. I think we want some new stars instead of ronnie alone,.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              I will play on anything too but for me its not the size of the pockets that puts me off - its the speed of the cloths - Playing on a match table with fast cloth and steel blocked cushions G1s and good lighting can not be bettered in my opinion. Decent tables make decent players - Most of us on here play a totally different game than the pro's condition wise. They don't need to whack it around to get position as much - and cannon the pack on a match table and the pack splits lovely. Sometimes on club tables you need to hit them with a sledge hammer - the pockets are tighter on a match table yes but on a fast thin cloth it does not turn off with the nap and because you don't need to whack it encourages a nicer smoother cue action to develop - if your stroking it they go in and tighter pockets do help you concentrate more because they are unforgiving. The lighting matters too - cant beat proper lighting - how many clubs still have coffin lids with dull lighting urrr.

Most local clubs are in the dark ages still using old tackle old tables and this is not showing any foresight - Maybe if a every club or a few of them invested in a few Star tables or aristocrats then they would find a number of good players flock back to play - in turn inspiring others to play or improve - Its worth paying a bit more to play on a good table. I'm not saying fill the club with them but one or two great tables to appeal to everyone would possibly help the cause.

Also at grass roots we need more comps and sponsorship of leagues - perhaps a free junior club on Saturday-Sunday mornings with coaching to inspire the next generations of youngsters to pick up a cue.
                              It also helps to have a few more people doing great write ups in the local press like Neil Tapperell - Have I spelled that right?

On the national side of things a 1 million first prize for the worlds does say to youngsters this is a game worth taking up - Rooney earns more in a week than the top prize in our game and the money has not actually gone up - discounting inflation - for years.
                              It would be nice too if the association or our government gave sporting grants - like they do with other sports - as this would help our new generation of youngsters with the expenses of competing in what is now a world wide sport - taking the edge off if they break onto the tour for a few years at least.

That's my 2 pence worth.
                              Excellent post! well said

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post

That's my 2 pence worth.
                                yep very good post,but i will stand by my quote that a break is not considered a break IMHO unless it's been done on a table that has world snooker tournament templates.

Comment

Working...
                                X