is snooker dying out in uk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    Idleness. Not having to shave every day is great. And who sharpens a pencil with a Stanley knife?
    I used to use an old scalpel
    Nearly always used to use a Stanley, back in the day
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Came back yesterday after 5 days in Butlins (Skegness) with the family. At 11-00 Friday morning, my children were in the sweet shop with their mum taking an age to choose what they wanted before we headed home. I went into the sports bar (Hotshots) next door to see all six american pool tables being used. These pool tables are £6-00 an hour. I then made the 3 minute walk to the snooker room (Green Baize) to see just 3 of the 14 available tables being used. There is no charge for the snooker tables, they are free.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mick farrell View Post
        Came back yesterday after 5 days in Butlins (Skegness) with the family. At 11-00 Friday morning, my children were in the sweet shop with their mum taking an age to choose what they wanted before we headed home. I went into the sports bar (Hotshots) next door to see all six american pool tables being used. These pool tables are £6-00 an hour. I then made the 3 minute walk to the snooker room (Green Baize) to see just 3 of the 14 available tables being used. There is no charge for the snooker tables, they are free.
        I was at Center Parcs last week and they have got rid of their only two snooker tables and replaced with about another 5 UK pool tables. They already had American and half a dozen pool tables anyway.....

Amazing people would rather pay £6 an hour to play pool instead of free snooker. Says it all really I guess.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Pool tables become more common than snooker tables. There are 2 reasons for this:

Many homes can accommodate a pool table. Very few are large enough for a snooker table.

In commercial settings they possibly make similar money, but pool tables take up less space. Time is money, so is space!
          王可

Comment

• Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
            Pool tables become more common than snooker tables. There are 2 reasons for this:

Many homes can accommodate a pool table. Very few are large enough for a snooker table.

In commercial settings they possibly make similar money, but pool tables take up less space. Time is money, so is space!
            I understand the commercial aspects, I guess the maths is pretty simple. But I grew up playing snooker first on a 6’ x 3’ table. It was always snooker but with a bit of pool thrown in for fun sometimes. It’s the scoring aspect of snooker that made it a more interesting game to me. Most pool players will have cleared that table plenty of times but fewer snookers players will have done the same in their game. It’s that difficulty that makes it interesting to me. So I think there’s a more salient point here in that people have less time and patience in modern day life maybe?
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              I understand the commercial aspects, I guess the maths is pretty simple. But I grew up playing snooker first on a 6’ x 3’ table. It was always snooker but with a bit of pool thrown in for fun sometimes. It’s the scoring aspect of snooker that made it a more interesting game to me. Most pool players will have cleared that table plenty of times but fewer snookers players will have done the same in their game. It’s that difficulty that makes it interesting to me. So I think there’s a more salient point here in that people have less time and patience in modern day life maybe?
              Probably true...but also the UK snooker fan base (I'm guessing here) is probably ageing...

As people get older its harder for them to play at a standard they are happy with, so if there is an option to change to a different game and perform at a seemingly higher standard I can see the appeal. That of course doesn't apply at the top level, but for a decent amateur snooker player who's frustrated as they can't consistently make long pots anymore for arguments sake, could switch to pool and be far less frustrated with their performance. They may or may not be successful in matches of course, but if playing socially that's not a massive issue.

Similarly its probably why people might want to pay to play pool, rather than play snooker for free. To the casual player they probably get far more satisfaction potting a few balls in a row on a pool table than a series of breaks consisting of red, black, miss, red, pink, miss etc.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                I used to use an old scalpel
                Nearly always used to use a Stanley, back in the day

You shave with an old scalpel? Cor!

Comment

• I was thinking snooker could do with a kind of Pro Am TV show along the lines of strictly come dancing. With a pro/ex-pro player and some celebrity gonk teaming up to take on other teams, a bit like big break was in the 90's.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                    I was thinking snooker could do with a kind of Pro Am TV show along the lines of strictly come dancing. With a pro/ex-pro player and some celebrity gonk teaming up to take on other teams, a bit like big break was in the 90's.
                    I’d watch it. I’m pretty sure a lot of people would to be honest. I never cease to be amazed by how much crap there is on TV something like this would be a welcome change.

We need a Return of a modern day Junior Pot Black too.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• What happened to Byrom??
                      It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• He asked to get his account shut because of some personal stuff in the real world, he's not really banned.

Comment

He asked to get his account shut because of some personal stuff in the real world, he's not really banned.
                          Ah okay that doesn’t sound to good, i hope he’s alright
                          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

He asked to get his account shut because of some personal stuff in the real world, he's not really banned.
                            oh , I just mentioned this in other thread too .
                            I Did'nt saw your post !!

Edit : tried to Delete it there , did'nt work out !!
                            Last edited by Ramon; 6 November 2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Yes it's a shame to say but the number of clubs that have closed is freighting in recent years but that's the same for the pub's as well as snooker club's I personally think social media the tv programs that are on tv and just a change of culture is all playing it's part in it. It's not cool anymore to play snooker they would rather hit the gym or spend hours watching there news feed on Facebook in case Tracy decides if she is having chicken tikka or chicken masala for her tea...THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD (social media god theres nothing more anti social then sitting on your phone all day not even speaking to anyone.

Comment

• Snooker is and will always be judged by its participation levels. Back in the 80's the game was vibrant. Lots of clubs and tables everywhere. However, the game has never really done anything to attract interest. It was just there. People saw other people bashing balls about and so it became a trendy activity. Apart from those individuals who actually sought after improvement!
                                Nowadays I think that snooker in itself needs to address it's attraction. Something as simple as challenge sheets on the wall of the club. To test people's willingness to improve. Starting with simple tasks, this would surely create a new avenue for coaching requirements. People have never really had any direction. It happened to me when I was 15. I went to a holiday camp and met a really good player from Coventry, who himself had made 100 breaks. We both entered the snooker comp which was very busy indeed (1988). I was intrigued by him who also beat the resident coach. I believe it was Jim Wych or someone like that. Maybe someone will know. It was at Barry Island resort owned by Majestic. I was just a pool player back then. I had no interest in snooker.
                                Having returned home. My friend from holiday wrote me a few times urging me to take up the game. He told me that I had potential to be a great player. Naturally I dismissed it.
                                Following this a club not too far from me was about to be reopened following a complete refurbishment. It was the old Jollies in Longton. Stoke-On-Trent. Where the Embassy Darts World Championships used to be held. It was now Called The Leisurebowl. It had 24 full sized tables. A number of bowling alleys, pool tables, arcade machines etc... So I made myself a member. I went about less than a dozen times. Sometimes with mates from school or by myself.
                                In none of that time did I feel as though I had any direction to follow. No challenges, and soon found myself bored by it. Now I'm sure that this is the same experience felt by countless others! I remember it vividly! I just packed my cue up, walked up the stairs from the snooker room. Paid the table fee and just sat down. Womack and Womack was playing 'teardrops'. I just sat there thinking. 'This is absolutely pointless...what am I supposed to be doing here?' There didn't seem to be anyone around who knew what they were doing. I'm certain that had someone approached me or had I seen some kind of introduction guide to the game, then I would have immediately picked up that gauntlet. I would have gone home that night, full of excitement. Maybe that following morning could have changed everything...
                                At my local club we have a breaks board. We also have challenge diagrams for people to try. I've also got people hooked on the pot red from the break off (not by smashing them open, I hasten to add). People have an instant guide for things to try which will challenge them right from day one. The rest is upto them.
                                Last edited by inevermissblue; 17 January 2018, 09:14 AM.
                                Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                                https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Working...
                                X