Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't it about time they ditched the brown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they could have added some white spots just like they have done so for billiards before the yellow ball era.

Comment

That would need a decision by World Snooker. If enough colour blind players feel that strongly, then they should all write to World Snooker and ask for the brown ball to be changed/ditched/replaced with another colour, etc.

Perhaps there is a way to make a red 'redder' or a brown 'browner' to aid the colour blind players.

Alternatively, those leagues who know they have a colour blind player or players, could, as suggested, use a brown ball that has been 'doctored' in some way so as to aid the player. Strictly they would not be complying to the rules, but I don't see that as being any different to those leagues who choose not to imply the full miss rule.
      Obviously, if that player then reached a very high standard and went on to play in national competitions, then he would have to revert to using the standard brown. It hasn't affected Williams and Ebdon.
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

It's a catch 22 in a way. Top players seldom get the brown mixed in wth the reds and cope quite well though I doubt they did earlier on in their careers, which is why I said those two ought to kick off a campaign as they are in the best position to be heard. It's the same with any disability though no one who suffers actually like publicising they have such and such.

There again if the BBC were to lobby for a change to aid the 10% of their millions of viewers their voice would be heard.

btw see: http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/New_products.html Almost on topic, more so than haggis anyway.

Comment

Ditching the brown isnt a very good idea. Maybe numbering the balls may help.

I didnt know Williams and Ebbo were colour blind!!!
          Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

I think it would be good to investigate whether different hues or shades of the reds and brown could be used, to make them more distinguishable. A much lighter brown, perhaps?

Being a traditionalist, I would prefer not to depart from using red or brown altogether, but have often mixed them up when watching on certain televisions - in my view, anything to make them easier to tell apart is to be encouraged.

"For those viewers watching in black and white, the pink ball is just behind the green." Ted Lowe (allegedly)
            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

I think that in most tournament matches, new sets of balls are used. They certainly are in the tournaments I've refereed in. Or at least, a set of balls is kept back for important matches. Therefore, there is probably a less likelihood of there being confusion between a red and brown.
              I'm not colour blind, but I have played in clubs where even I have noticed that the red and brown are not too dissimilar in colour.
              I disagree about putting numbers on the balls. That's pool and doesn't belong on a snooker forum.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef
                I disagree about putting numbers on the balls. That's pool and doesn't belong on a snooker forum.
                In that case, I like the idea mentioned earlier, of putting spots on the brown. And if they are slightly raised, as in Braille, then they would not only be good for those who were colour blind, but also those who were totally blind!

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest
                  I think it would be good to investigate whether different hues or shades of the reds and brown could be used, to make them more distinguishable. A much lighter brown, perhaps?

Being a traditionalist, I would prefer not to depart from using red or brown altogether, but have often mixed them up when watching on certain televisions - in my view, anything to make them easier to tell apart is to be encouraged.

"For those viewers watching in black and white, the pink ball is just behind the green." Ted Lowe (allegedly)
                  I agree with d_g. The physiology, and psychology, of vision is quite complex. Usually people think in terms of accuracy (vision is sharp or blurred?) and colors. But there is another factor: accutance, the capability to discriminate subtle nuances in a shade of the same color. Accutance vary from person to person (and from photographic lense to another), exactly like the other parameters. So it is very possible that Mark Williams or Ebdon - if they can discriminate well enough between shade of greys - don't actually have a problem even if they were to be totally color blind.

But even so ... what about a fallback position? The possibility for the player who has a well diagnosed medical problem, to be able to ask for an "alternative" official ball with some distinctive mark on it?

Exceptions to the code dress are allowed when justified, why not this?
                  Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                  http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

I'm thinking now on the same line as you Monique. I'll ask my dad as i'm pretty sure his colour blindnesss red/brown problem is the most common, if a brown ball with say 4 small white spots would do the trick, it seems the logical answer. Then get in touch with Aramith and ask if they'd make such.
                    Assuning they would then these balls could be sold individually to the colour blind.
                    I cant imagine a player turning up for a match at what ever level and asking if the brown be swopped for his own spotted brown and being refused. less of course it was some weird size or old and knackered.

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity
                      I cant imagine a player turning up for a match at what ever level and asking if the brown be swopped for his own spotted brown and being refused. less of course it was some weird size or old and knackered.
                      That could be a problem, as they'd need to weigh the ball to check it is similar enough to the other balls. The weight of snooker balls is not specified in the rules, but they must be within a tolerance of 3g of each other.

They could try having a different shaped brown - perhaps shaped like a rugby ball, or a cube.
                      "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                      David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest
                        They could try having a different shaped brown - perhaps shaped like a rugby ball, or a cube.
                        wrankel type ball

Now more seriously, I was aware of the possible problem with the weight. I was thinking of an additional calibrated item in the set...
                        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

What would happen, then, if his opponent, who perhaps isn't colour blind, objected to playing with a 'doctored' ball? The rules do state that both players have to be in agreement or on a decision by the referee. (Section 1, rule 2). If the referee decides that the colour blind player will have an advantage, he will not agree to the change.

And, NO, the non colour blind person does not have an advantage either, because there is a rule in place to cover this (Section 5, Rule 1(v)).

I have come across a player who has difficulty distinguishing between Green & Blue. So what do you do if you have one player cannot distinguish between red & brown, playing against a player who cannot distinguish between blue & green?

What about round robin tournaments? You'd have to keep changing the balls at every match!

Unfortunately, sympathetic that I am, unless WS decide to put some form of marking on the brown (or blue or green) it stays as it is.

Comment

I have red-green colour blindness (deuteranopia) and, for some reason, I do have problem distinguishing the brown from the reds. All it means is I have to pay close attention to where the brown ball is during gameplay, particularly if it gets knocked off its spot.

If anyone's curious as to how the world looks if you're colour blind, have a look at this site - http://www.vischeck.com/examples/

Comment

Working...
                            X