Cue ball on the edge of a pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue ball on the edge of a pocket

After potting a color, the white comes to rest on the edge of the pocket fall. All balls have stopped moving, and as I reach into the pocket to retrieve the color, I accidently bump the white, and it falls in.

Question: Is this a foul? Or am I acting as a referee at this point, and therefore no foul and the white is replaced on the previous edge position?

If it is a foul, then what if my opponent was pulling my ball out for me? Foul on him, or me? And does the white play from in hand?

Cue ball on the edge of a pocket

Assumption that this is you playing with friends and not a competition.

If the non striker knocked the cue ball, replace the cue ball as he is acting as the ref for your turn. No foul striker continues.
    If you are striker and you are retrieving the cue ball, personally I would say no foul and replace the cue ball and turn continues but only if between you and your friend that this is what you do as normal in your matches.
    Of course if you always have an agreement that the non striker is the ref (a common practice) then it could be a foul and turn finishes and cue ball in hand.
    Really depends on how you play with your friends.
    In any competition then it should be agreed before hand who and when acts as ref for the match.

next time don't
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Totally off topic but this is for you DeanH - Happy Christmas

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
        Totally off topic but this is for you DeanH - Happy Christmas

me specifically ?

and Merry Christmas to you and your family too

can't watch the vid on the phone at the mo

will check it tomorrow
        (if it is rude I will retract my season's greetings:wink

Comment

watched it now, got to say the best version ever!

thanks Byrom :applouse:

Comment

Hmmm, social games without an independent referee always throw up some grey areas. If you were the striker and touched any of the balls on the table then strictly that should be a foul, regardless of whether it is normal practice for you to retrieve balls from the pockets. If you knocked the cue ball into the pocket then it would be in hand. However, if you play on a more friendly basis then both of you may wish to let the incident pass and simply replace the cue ball on the edge of the pocket.

If your opponent knocked the ball as he went to retrieve a ball for you (the striker) he is clearly acting as referee and cannot be penalised. The cue ball would simply be replaced where it was.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
              Hmmm, social games without an independent referee always throw up some grey areas. If you were the striker and touched any of the balls on the table then strictly that should be a foul, regardless of whether it is normal practice for you to retrieve balls from the pockets. If you knocked the cue ball into the pocket then it would be in hand. However, if you play on a more friendly basis then both of you may wish to let the incident pass and simply replace the cue ball on the edge of the pocket.

If your opponent knocked the ball as he went to retrieve a ball for you (the striker) he is clearly acting as referee and cannot be penalised. The cue ball would simply be replaced where it was.
              We here in Canada always re-spot our own balls and if you are the striker and pot a colour ball then during the time you are re-spotting that ball you are acting as a referee and therefore yourself as striker are not responsible for any fouls you commit while acting as the referee and re-spotting the colour (or reaching into the pocket to get the colour).

This seemed to me to be the best option as I disagree with those lazy sods who refuse to spot my colour balls even if I'm on the other side of the table and he is sitting right opposite the pocket.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                We here in Canada always re-spot our own balls and if you are the striker and pot a colour ball then during the time you are re-spotting that ball you are acting as a referee and therefore yourself as striker are not responsible for any fouls you commit while acting as the referee and re-spotting the colour (or reaching into the pocket to get the colour).

This seemed to me to be the best option as I disagree with those lazy sods who refuse to spot my colour balls even if I'm on the other side of the table and he is sitting right opposite the pocket.

Terry
                I can't believe you re-spot your own balls. I'd get absolutely no rhythm like that at all.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

We here in Canada always re-spot our own balls ....
                  Why is that ???

Comment

Terry
                    When playing a friendly game without a ref, we have always played that it is the strikers responsibilty to spot the balls properly, however normaly the opponent will do this as a courtesy to the striker, however if the opponent fails to spot before the next stroke, the foul would be on the striker.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                      I can't believe you re-spot your own balls. I'd get absolutely no rhythm like that at all.

at least, if the opponent makes a big break, you can relax and watch the frame hahahaha...

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                        How do you get a rhythm in practice then?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                          How do you get a rhythm in practice then?
                          Just have to do the best you can, but it's not ideal. In practice you can leave the black down until you walk around the table and things like that. You wouldn't want to do that in a proper frame.

In an ideal world, you'd play someone and they'd fetch the balls out for you, which is exactly what happens in England.
                          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X