developing your feathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• developing your feathering

Having watched the Masters this week, I've noticed that pretty much all of the pros when taking on a regular shot (by which I mean their cueing isn't being hampered by another ball or using the rest ie a relatively simple shot, feather in exactly the same way or every shot.
    Im trying to establish a regular cueing pattern. I've noticed some players feather once or twice others more. Clearly there isn't necessarily a right way or wrong way (for the pros at least).
    What do you do and why ?

It's all about getting that rhythm over the shot so that when it comes to finally delivering the cue you feel comfortable and hopefully anxiety free. Ebdon feathers numerous times on a shot, whereas Marco Fu doesn't really feather at all. The pace of a feather or feathers is very important in my opinion.

After much work, my game I feel is at its strongest with just one feather into the front pause (eyes on cb), but the pace of that one address is vital. In practice before a league match last Thursday I missed the final yellow on 102, and made a 50 clearance in the second frame of my match. Importantly every shot felt comfortable and I had that contentment over the shot. I'm a quick thinker re: shot selection and I feel the one address is comfortable and suits my game - any more than one feels mechanical and unnatural. Whatever works for you

Comment

Something I noticed today with Shaun Murphy was he is feathering as he gets down, I was taught ,tip to cueball ,quick check everything is ok and still online, then the feathers(sounds a bit mechanical written down but it's not) he seems to feather then quick check on the front pause before his final pull back.
      There again what does he know
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I've been working on my feathering quite a bit recently, it's timing my eyes to my feathering I'm working on though. It seems to be the key to straight cueing for me. I try to flick while the cue is moving, to the OB on the back swing and to the CB during the forward feather, this kind of helps me see if I'm feathering straight, then I go through the ball when I feel comfortable, or not sometimes, it's difficult.

Comment

I think the point about feathering is it's about getting settled and comfortable, if 1 feather is enough for you to do that then great do it, if you need more thats fine. What feels right for you may not suit somebody else, but no point hitting the cue ball until you're ready.

Comment

Can anyone advice on my feathering?

1)feather normally then final pull back(at the same pace of feathering) a short pause and cue through.

2)the normal feathering and on the final back pull back, I slow down my pace followed by a short pause and finally cue through.

Which is the correct one? I get more accurate with the 2nd one but not consistent, I wonder is it because I just started changing?

Comment

I think number 2 is what most people would advise, but it depends on how fast you feather normally, the final pull back should be slow and controlled.

Comment

I always prefer a number 2

Comment

Google for Nic Barrow. He is a hell of a coach. You might find something useful even in his free videos.
                  Originally Posted by JLiang91 View Post
                  Can anyone advice on my feathering?

1)feather normally then final pull back(at the same pace of feathering) a short pause and cue through.

2)the normal feathering and on the final back pull back, I slow down my pace followed by a short pause and finally cue through.

Which is the correct one? I get more accurate with the 2nd one but not consistent, I wonder is it because I just started changing?

Comment

Originally Posted by hsn View Post
                    Google for Nic Barrow. He is a hell of a coach. You might find something useful even in his free videos.
                    Thank you for that. Great resource!
                    B.

Comment

I believe do what feels the most comfortable and gives you the most confidence on your shot. But a slow final pull back is a generally the right thing to go for.

Comment

Terry Griffiths is an advocate for beginners to feather using the same backswing distance back from the cue ball as will be used on final delivery. It's believed that this has the advantage of being a full-rehearsal for the final pull-back, pause then slow to fast accelerated delivery. He believes in varying the length of the backswing according to the required power, ie shorter feathers and backswing for slow shots and vice versa.
                        The problem we have as coaches is that there are so many professional players with so many different styles (None identical- but all making regular tons and 147s), its so easy for students to say for example, Hendry did it this way, or Ronnie does it another.
                        I like the TG method, especially for beginners, although you wont find many pros using it-but they are playing so much snooker that they can develop their own personal consistant rhythm and routine.

Comment

Working...
                        X