Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balls - An argument in a club about what type...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
    ...I have been teaching a few players recently and bought them a beginners training ball (Measels ball with the red dots) AND THEY ONLY MAKE IT IN TOURNAMENT WEIGHT. Why's that!!!
    I have a spotted white that weighs 129g which is no use to me lol, all my clubs use proper TC's at 142g ish

Comment

Cyberheater,

Good point.
      I volunteered to clean the tables, didn't ask just did it. Twice a week. It's good to play on a clean table. (Been cleaning and ironing other snooker tables for over 35 years)
      Then I was told by the same committee people.
      "STOP STOP !!!"
      You're wearing the cloth out. They said quote 'Its like a dog... the more you brush it, the more its hair falls out!' I just laughed.
      Now they are only cleaned once every TWO months.
      Drives me mad that does. It's like a common myth. Leaving all the chalk and crap on the cloth is what will wear it out.
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Cyberheater,

Good point.
        I volunteered to clean the tables, didn't ask just did it. Twice a week. It's good to play on a clean table. (Been cleaning and ironing other snooker tables for over 35 years)
        Then I was told by the same committee people.
        "STOP STOP !!!"
        You're wearing the cloth out. They said quote 'Its like a dog... the more you brush it, the more its hair falls out!'
        I just laughed.
        Now they are only cleaned once every TWO months.
        What a load of old bollocks. Shameful really.

Maybe you should get the table fitter to have a word. Second thoughts. After what he said about TC balls. Maybe not.

Comment

Table play great when cleaned and ironed etc. £2.00 / hr so can't complain.
          They're good enough for me to still knock in the odd century.

I have always said the tables are good if maintained.
          Last edited by jigsaw333; 14 February 2015, 10:07 AM. Reason: Updated

Comment

Removed email
            Last edited by jrc750; 13 February 2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
              What happens mate is that league teams etc start off with a nice set of TC's at 142g and through time the white might get a bit chipped. What do they do? They go and purchase a new "ordinary" club ball white which might be around 139g or worse still they get hold of an Aramith Premier white at around 129g. Creates mayhem for the good players!
              That's certainly the biggest problem in my local league. A few venues have the 129g white ball and 142g object balls. The obvious problem is that you screw back too far, and don't follow through enough.
              But whether stunning, screwing, or running through on an off straight shot and the white comes off at a different angle altogether.
              It's quite possible to finish 12 feet out of position on a simple stun-the-cb-around-the-angles shot. Many other more simple shots where the cue-ball isn't travelling as far can still be out by a matter of feet.
              This game is supposed to about fractions.
              One club in our league has two table, and two sets of balls, one 129g set. and one 142g set. Probably eight times out of ten when we've played there, the light white has been with the heavier set, and the heavier white has been with the lighter set.
              Their players quite happily go from one table to the other, blissfully unaware of the difference, not seeming too bothered as to why they can't screw back one inch on one table, and can easily screw back a few feet to far on the other one.
              Still, they're happy and they're decent people.

Comment

I find this discussion absolutely amazing! I cannot believe (but I guess it's so) that in the HOME of snooker there are clubs that buy cheaper balls and not buy the TC or 1G balls. For Christ's sake, over here the 1G balls are around $210 WHOLESALE and the TC balls without the fancy (cheap) attache case are only about $165 or so. If they are at that price here including tax and shipping from Belgium then they must be even cheaper wholesale over there.

All the clubs here use the TC balls at 141-142gm and yes the cueballs do wear out and you can find a light cueball but a new TC cueball cost about $10 wholesale. Are the clubs really that short of money?

And not brushing and ironing a table is just unbelievable. Do they not watch snooker on TV and see them brushing, blocking and ironing BETWEEN SESSIONS? Do they not see the 1G balls being put out on the tables. Do they not do any research at all? The INTERNATIONAL standard for balls is the TC or 1G.

I think you guys are just pulling my leg here. Tell all those misinformed committee members and table fitters to join TSF and get some true facts about what their favourite sport is up to
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

My old club had 10 tables, all lighter balls, we bought our own, then all left for somewhere we are treated better, whatever we ask for now, it happens :-D

Comment

I think this is the result of people owning snooker clubs who know NOTHING about snooker or in the case of the private workingman's or the like clubs the committee members also know nothing but you'd think they would be wise enough to seek the advice of knowledgeable people.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

All down to money tho Terry, 10 sets of balls ain't cheap, and you can forget the re cloth! Got the best table only done if a pro was booked

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        IAnd not brushing and ironing a table is just unbelievable.
                        My local social club never irons them. They don't have a iron or a brush. Unbelievable I know.

The other one I go to there is a guy who brushes and irons every week. The difference in speed is amazing.

Comment

the three tables at my social club have nice cloths on them (not sure of the level but probably the lowest 6811) good but hardish wearing. all three are brushed, blocked and ironed every Tuesday and they may get brushed other times during the week as well before league and competition matches and they last 3years (one table gets reclothed each year)
                          the club has Aramith TCs all round snooker and billiard sets
                          so brushing and TCs DO NOT DAMAGE the cloths :biggrin :
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Rifle,

Exactly what I need. More ammunition to present to the committee
                            Keep 'em coming
                            Perhaps I'll say nothing and carry on... Maybe not...
                            Last edited by jigsaw333; 14 February 2015, 10:04 AM. Reason: Updated

Comment

Whilst were on the subject of balls does anyone know which balls were used for the pro tournaments before Aramith tc's were introduced? If so what year did the change take place?

Comment

Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
                                Where is Vmax? Super crystallates are better balls but Aramith won't allow their true manufacture. Instead, the bloody Belgians make SCs out of the same material (phenolic resin, not crystallate) as TCs. Grrrr.
                                Does anyone else on this forum still play with a set of super crystalates. These balls haven't been manufactured for over thirty years or more but even so the set at our club play better than a new set of TC's.
                                If anyone plays at a club that uses an old set of balls with a lighter coloured blue as opposed to the darker coloured blue that Aramith make, then they could be supers.
                                Watch old video footage of about pre 1990 and you will see that the blue is a lighter colour, it's the only visual difference I can think of.

Comment

Working...
                                X