Ronnie O'Sullivan and Steve Peters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie O'Sullivan and Steve Peters

We've just seen the World Grand Prix roll by, in which Ronnie made it to the final along with Trump.

I don't think it's a secret that Ronnie's has been kind of grumpy the whole week, telling various people off (both camera men and judges) for minor stuff.

Now, the way I understand his involvement with mind coach Steve Peters is to combat his tendencies to have melt downs, and the past few years he's been great. He's appeared very comfortable on the table and in venues, and it has seemed like his mind has been in the right place.

But now, it almost looks like he's back to his old tricks (and not in a good way). Just look at the way he lost that final -- what with giving up important'ish frames where he could've gotten respot black on a snooker on blue, and another where he only needed 2 regular snookers.

My question is, what's up? Does anyone know?

Is he no longer with Steve Peters? Haven't been able to find anything on the subject, so I turn to the oracles of TSF.
    Shreddin' balls :livid:

Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    We've just seen the World Grand Prix roll by, in which Ronnie made it to the final along with Trump.

I don't think it's a secret that Ronnie's has been kind of grumpy the whole week, telling various people off (both camera men and judges) for minor stuff.

Now, the way I understand his involvement with mind coach Steve Peters is to combat his tendencies to have melt downs, and the past few years he's been great. He's appeared very comfortable on the table and in venues, and it has seemed like his mind has been in the right place.

But now, it almost looks like he's back to his old tricks (and not in a good way). Just look at the way he lost that final -- what with giving up important'ish frames where he could've gotten respot black on a snooker on blue, and another where he only needed 2 regular snookers.

My question is, what's up? Does anyone know?

Is he no longer with Steve Peters? Haven't been able to find anything on the subject, so I turn to the oracles of TSF.
    I think that the negativity of decline is overpowering the work of SP. Ronnie approaches that landmark 40, no-one likes that and his game is holding together but he's not dominant so having had those aces up his sleeves for his long career, he won't be chuffed to lose them. Maybe that drives his unhappiness?

I also think he's got some real complaints that have merit. The snappers, slow refs and noise of the circus aren't what he grew up with?

Comment

or perhaps he just had a bad week at the office? it happens to all of us and could have various reasons. and as judd said, he has not won because he has played good - he has won because ronnie played poorly

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        Ronnie approaches that landmark 40, no-one likes that and his game is holding together but he's not dominant
        That may be the case at the moment, but he's been pretty dominant the past few years, at least in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        I also think he's got some real complaints that have merit. The snappers, slow refs and noise of the circus aren't what he grew up with?
        Granted, whether or not his complaints has been warranted or not may be subjective, but at least it's not a daily occurrence, so something tells me something is off. But then again, what do I know.

Originally Posted by svendh View Post
        or perhaps he just had a bad week at the office?
        That's obviously a possibility. Sh!t happens, I guess.

Anyone know if he's still working with Peters?
        Shreddin' balls :livid:

Comment

You can have as many Steve Peters as you like helping you but there will still be times when you need to vent because if you don't you'll go stir crazy
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
            You can have as many Steve Peters as you like helping you but there will still be times when you need to vent because if you don't you'll go stir crazy
            Absolutely - you can only box yer chimp so much - the cover you put over yourself still only disguises the real person underneath and everyone has to wake up sooner or later.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
              Absolutely - you can only box yer chimp so much - the cover you put over yourself still only disguises the real person underneath and everyone has to wake up sooner or later.
              True to some extent but Ronnie differs because of bipolar and has SP and running to help him instead of a gram of Lithium a day. So his chimp is a real big bad one. I'm amazed he can even play without medication with this condition. And to play so well at his age is amazing. He really is the greatest ever. There is no player in history who could have coped with that family, a mental illness and still do the biz at forty, not one. And please don't say Hendry people because he couldn't do it after 30, without all of Ronnie's baggage. I do love Hendry, fabulous mindset.
              Last edited by Master Blaster; 24 March 2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Ronnie doesn't handle not playing at his best very well, isn't the type to grind out a result and feel happy about such a victory as he knows he's capable of so very much more.
                Sure he could have played for snookers a bit more often than he did but perhaps he knew he wasn't playing well enough to get them so didn't bother.

Then again maybe he should put in a bit more than the two hours practise he said he had before the tournament started. Great player he is but even he has to keep that cue arm well oiled.

Comment

Yes - true and if he had the mindset of Hendry he would have won at least 10 worlds by now maybe.

He has done well to cope though - I did not think he would see 40 never mind still be playing. I ain't knocking it but just saying once you are haunted by these things - I don't think you ever truly recover and snooker is the wrong sport to play when dealing with them kinds of demons.

I think doing other things like building up his property portfolio and doing other stuff keeps him sane - he cant expect to be on top of his game as before but he still getting to finals and wining bits so not that bad - many other players would take that kind of form he thinks is poor.

Comment

O'S without doubt is the greatest player to ever pick a cue, that said, he has had many problems to deal with during his reign, problems I do want to discuss. Forty is not old for a snooker player I arrived in Brisbane in 1980 played the Queensland champion and beat him 4/1 at the age of 45. Prior to playing him I have beaten every pro. I played down-under. At 21 I put my cue away because of the enormous starts I had to give other players. I never owned a cue always picked one from a rack however my wife requested I enter into a try out session at a local Leagues Club when I was 32 and if I was chosen to play to represent the club she would buy me a cue for my birthday. Not playing for 11 years I did not expect to get into the Team however I did. Played No.1 for them until I was 38 and won 95% of all my matches when other leagues clubs had pros. playing No.1. I played the Australia Champion 3 weeks after he won the title and just happen to win. Gave it up because of the travel playing away from home. I'm now 76 and playing younger players who play for a local ex-serv. club and give them start and let them win a couple during the day to be sure they will return.

I cannot even imagine playing O'S as in my mine he is the greatest player to ever pick up a cue. I do not believe people on this forum should be discussing his private life, he has had many big personal problems, I cannot believe members keep bringing them up, it has nothing to do with them, it's his personal business PERSONAL which should be private not a point of discussion. There are a lot of O'S knockers on this forum and my guess is most of them would struggle to get a forty break. Get off his back he has enough personal problems without members discussing them on this forum.
                    Last edited by blinky88; 24 March 2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

the title of this thread is about Steve Peters and Ronnie - it is inevitable that this will be discussed. If it was personal perhaps Ronnie would not himself have mentioned these things in his numerous biographies and put his struggles with these things in the public domain.

The game is a lot about mindset so it is a valid and interesting thread to put up I think.
                      Last edited by Byrom; 24 March 2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

There is no doubt O'Sullivan wasnt in form during this
                        tournament and there can be many different reasons
                        for this as mentioned by many here.
                        I admire him for getting professional help and for going
                        public with mental illness and life's challenges as it takes
                        a lot of courage to do so.
                        Hopefully he will get himself back on track and play more
                        great snooker and find himself some peace of mind.

Comment

If he really has only put 2hrs a day in before the tournament, I just don't know what to say, that's less than Trump and he's a right lazy so and so. Ronnie used to put in a full day. C'mon Ronnie, put in at least half a day each day, we'd all love to have the time to do the same! I say this because we'd love to see him on top form for years to come.

Comment

TBH you have to think what the other players are currently thinking when Ronnie is playing not great yet still making finals etc, is the standard really that great at the moment and are there players really coming through like people mention time after time because I can't think of anyone who stand out.

Comment

Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
                              O'S without doubt is the greatest player to ever pick a cue, that said, he has had many problems to deal with during his reign, problems I do want to discuss. Forty is not old for a snooker player I arrived in Brisbane in 1980 played the Queensland champion and beat him 4/1 at the age of 45. Prior to playing him I have beaten every pro. I played down-under. At 21 I put my cue away because of the enormous starts I had to give other players. I never owned a cue always picked one from a rack however my wife requested I enter into a try out session at a local Leagues Club when I was 32 and if I was chosen to play to represent the club she would buy me a cue for my birthday. Not playing for 11 years I did not expect to get into the Team however I did. Played No.1 for them until I was 38 and won 95% of all my matches when other leagues clubs had pros. playing No.1. I played the Australia Champion 3 weeks after he won the title and just happen to win. Gave it up because of the travel playing away from home. I'm now 76 and playing younger players who play for a local ex-serv. club and give them start and let them win a couple during the day to be sure they will return.

I cannot even imagine playing O'S as in my mine he is the greatest player to ever pick up a cue. I do not believe people on this forum should be discussing his private life, he has had many big personal problems, I cannot believe members keep bringing them up, it has nothing to do with them, it's his personal business PERSONAL which should be private not a point of discussion. There are a lot of O'S knockers on this forum and my guess is most of them would struggle to get a forty break. Get off his back he has enough personal problems without members discussing them on this forum.

I think the key word there is FORUM
                              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Working...
                              X