Steve Davis' - Successful Snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Davis' - Successful Snooker

I have been reading Steve Davis' Successful Snooker for few days now. The book is concise, to the point and full of informative images. Steve also describes his own playing style and very fine details about his cue and other factoring components.

However, the book is quite old, published in 1981-82 I guess when Steve was world champion. I am sure since then, many things have been changed in the game and apart from the basics, there must be many a few things that have been aligned with the modern game play.

I was just wondering if there are other, more recent publications/videos that can give similar or higher level of information on Snooker and its playing styles?

I know..I know.. the best way to learn snooker is hire a decent coach and do regular practice yourself . But right now I am not able to find any worthy coach to get training from and my 9-9 job is killing any spare time I can use to go out and learn snooker - I play and practice for an hour in my office itself - we have 2 tables here in the office.

It would be better if I have some informational E-book/DVD to get my doubts cleared and basics perfected first. Thanks!
    I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

Years ago i got Stephen Hendry snooker Masterclass for Xmas, i used to take it to the club with me and hire the private room so i wouldn't be disturbed and i went from the front to back religiously.
    It definitely improved me but a good coach is a lot better than a good book imo, Gl with your snooker journey
    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
      Years ago i got Stephen Hendry snooker Masterclass for Xmas, i used to take it to the club with me and hire the private room so i wouldn't be disturbed and i went from the front to back religiously.
      It definitely improved me but a good coach is a lot better than a good book imo, Gl with your snooker journey
      Are you sure you didnt have "other reading material" also when you were alone in the private room ?
      Hahaha.. just messing around man

Comment

Steve Davis' - Successful Snooker

Steve Davis also bought out a VHS tape to go with the book.

Comment

Originally Posted by _Harry_Potter_ View Post

However, the book is quite old, published in 1981-82 I guess when Steve was world champion. I am sure since then, many things have been changed in the game and apart from the basics, there must be many a few things that have been aligned with the modern game play.

Hi _Harry_Potter_
          Things changed -for Steve- within months of this book being published. After a first round loss in the 1982 World Championship (10-1 to Knowles) he began the 82-83 season consistently playing below his best. By early 1983 Steve had sought the advice of Frank Callan asking where he (Steve) was going wrong technically. This was no secret in the snooker world and a couple of the "red tops" had reported Steve's plight. I was 14 at the time and couldn't understand why Steve was selling a book on how to play snooker and at the same time seeking advice on how to play snooker.....

Comment

Originally Posted by mick farrell View Post
            Hi _Harry_Potter_
            Things changed -for Steve- within months of this book being published. After a first round loss in the 1982 World Championship (10-1 to Knowles) he began the 82-83 season consistently playing below his best. By early 1983 Steve had sought the advice of Frank Callan asking where he (Steve) was going wrong technically. This was no secret in the snooker world and a couple of the "red tops" had reported Steve's plight. I was 14 at the time and couldn't understand why Steve was selling a book on how to play snooker and at the same time seeking advice on how to play snooker.....
            Frank Callan's book is a great read, accepts that everyone is different and helps you to work with what you've got. Unlike Joe Davis, who I believe Steve followed to the letter, who is very rigid in how you should play exactly as he does. For anyone picking up a cue for the first time and wanting to get the basics down and start on a good footing I would go with Joe's how I play snooker, wish I had a copy before I picked up all my bad habits!
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by _Harry_Potter_ View Post
              I have been reading Steve Davis' Successful Snooker for few days now. The book is concise, to the point and full of informative images. Steve also describes his own playing style and very fine details about his cue and other factoring components.

I was just wondering if there are other, more recent publications/videos that can give similar or higher level of information on Snooker and its playing styles?

I know..I know.. the best way to learn snooker is hire a decent coach and do regular practice yourself . But right now I am not able to find any worthy coach to get training from and my 9-9 job is killing any spare time I can use to go out and learn snooker - I play and practice for an hour in my office itself - we have 2 tables here in the office.

It would be better if I have some informational E-book/DVD to get my doubts cleared and basics perfected first. Thanks!
              2 tables in the office, where do I send my CV! Lol
              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                Are you sure you didnt have "other reading material" also when you were alone in the private room ?
                Hahaha.. just messing around man
                No mate the private room had windows in so the pipes were never cleaned in there
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                  Frank Callan's book is a great read, accepts that everyone is different and helps you to work with what you've got. Unlike Joe Davis, who I believe Steve followed to the letter, who is very rigid in how you should play exactly as he does. For anyone picking up a cue for the first time and wanting to get the basics down and start on a good footing I would go with Joe's how I play snooker, wish I had a copy before I picked up all my bad habits!
                  I have just been looking for a copy, they don't come cheap, some jokers on ebay want over £300!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Pilgs View Post
                    I have just been looking for a copy, they don't come cheap, some jokers on ebay want over £300!!
                    I have one somewhere you could have far cheaper that B-)

Comment

Ah damn it I'd just clicked buy it now too

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                        I have no affiliation to, but I am a strong advocate of the coaching tips on Frank Callan snooker (http://fcsnooker.co.uk/ scroll down to near the bottom of that page for the coaching). The guidance is simple and flexible, but gives you every thought or consideration that you need to play well (in my view). Even the basics took me from a recreational 20-30 break type player, to a circa 50 player. If you can groove and execute the basics, I think you will be a decent player...and with more practice an even better one. I've read the Davis's (Joe and Steve) but prefer the Callan website.

Of course a lot comes down to your ability to execute those ideas yourself, and practice effectively. The advantage of those tips, in my view, is they are in a simple, concise, easy to understand, and remember form.

Comment

Originally Posted by Pilgs View Post
                          You cant have looked that hard. It's on amazon for £18.

Each to their own but I wouldn't say that falls under the category of 'they don't come cheap'

Smee

Comment

Amazon actually has both books - Frank Callan at £18 and Steve Davis' book at £2

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                              Amazon actually has both books - Frank Callan at £18 and Steve Davis' book at £2
                              The Steve Davis Successful snooker is available for free download as a pdf file.

Comment

Working...
                              X