White in middle of pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    In this case if I was the referee I would check the gap between pink and black and if I was striker I would carefully watch the referee when he was checking the gap.
    The European Tutors and Examiners seminar (which included Jan Verhaas amongst its attendees) agreed wholeheartedly that should a referee need to check the gap, then the striker should be asked to look away, or the referee should shield what he is doing. The player should NOT gain advantage from knowing for certain what the answer is (and that's why the striker isn't allowed to use anything to measure gaps or distances for himself).
    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
      Terry, forget the detail of the scenarios. You're still evading the question.

Are you saying, in my last scenario that it is not ok for the referee to answer if asked if the striker has central full ball contact, but that it is ok to answer (in exactly the same position) whether it's an impossible shot?
      I am saying the expert rules guy here says the referee can answer in the specific case of an impossible hit. What I believe or don't believe is inconsequential. As a player if I feel a hit is impossible I will say to the referee 'I judge this to be an impossible hit' and play directly at the OB. I say this because it might appear as unsportsmanlike conduct.

If I was refereeing in Canada and a player asked me if it was impossible I would say 'yes' or 'no' because if I didn't the senior referee would if asked.

What often happens is in an impossible hit situation a lot of referees will apply a very high standard of skill like Steve Davis was trying to hit the ball even though it's an amateur player and also referees very rarely take into account the state of the table on any MISS call. Sometimes, especially on a slow table with dodgy cushions a 5-cushion hit is impossible but on a pro table it's entirely possible with the perfect table and the higher skill set.

In the end, I don't care what you do or your opinions on this matter as it doesn't effect me in any way.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Obviously Canadian referees operate to a different code to those in Europe.
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
          Obviously Canadian referees operate to a different code to those in Europe.
          Well, we are after all part of the 'New World'
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
          X