How do you practice your Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    nice of you to say - I am the type of person that loves solo practice - some players find it a bore or a chore - I love it - would play till my feet fell off every day if I could
    Me too because I love the freedom of being able to chop and change what I'm doing and taking full advantage of every minute. Especially these days when I have to pay for the table time. When it's just me there's no standing around watching someone make a frame winning break against me which is not practice time well spent. I would get asked for a game a lot while I was playing on my own because all the regulars knew me from working at the club and one day I decided to be strict and start declining to everyone for several months so I could get my own practice in and make it a few hours every day. It make a massive difference but also caused offence to a few who would walk off saying something like "asked him for a game and the rude b******* said no". I didn't really care about that because most were only using me to get free table time anyway and would only spend their time in an SMS conversation with someone instead of concentrating on the frame. I would be stood there waiting for them to take their shot thinking I should be practicing on my own instead of this waste of time.

All that was out and what was in was a disciplined routine of solo practice every day and planned matches against better players. Anyone who approached me for a match would usually get a polite no especially if I had only just started practicing but if I had already been playing for a few hours I would sometimes agree but not often.

As with anything the more you practice the better you will get so as long as you do plenty of solo practice at Snooker you will start seeing good results regardless of what your routines are. If you're potting balls and thinking about position every day you will improve. That's how I looked at it and it's true.
    Last edited by MrRottweiler; 25 September 2015, 08:21 PM.
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
      Me too because I love the freedom of being able to chop and change what I'm doing and taking full advantage of every minute. Especially these days when I have to pay for the table time. When it's just me there's no standing around watching someone make a frame winning break against me which is not practice time well spent. I would get asked for a game a lot while I was playing on my own because all the regulars knew me from working at the club and one day I decided to be strict and start declining to everyone for several months so I could get my own practice in and make it a few hours every day. It make a massive difference but also caused offence to a few who would walk off saying something like "asked him for a game and the rude b******* said no". I didn't really care about that because most were only using me to get free table time anyway and would only spend their time in an SMS conversation with someone instead of concentrating on the frame. I would be stood there waiting for them to take their shot thinking I should be practicing on my own instead of this waste of time.

All that was out and what was in was a disciplined routine of solo practice every day and planned matches against better players. Anyone who approached me for a match would usually get a polite no especially if I had only just started practicing but if I had already been playing for a few hours I would sometimes agree but not often.

As with anything the more you practice the better you will get so as long as you do plenty of solo practice at Snooker you will start seeing good results regardless of what your routines are. If you're potting balls and thinking about position every day you will improve. That's how I looked at it and it's true.

I totally get this post one of the best I have read on TSF and I agree entirely - How many players have themselves thought I wish I had done targeted focused training instead of messing around potting balls back in the day?

As for any pro's - a number do lots of solo practice but they don't need all of what I do - although they have previously and much more besides - Many once they get to a level perhaps focus on key weakness more like long potting and break building - they play on proper conditions or try to. No pro gets to where they are without thousands of hours practice - I respect them all for that dedication - many great players loose that dedication and or focus they need to develop along the way - maybe sometimes life just gets in the way or they don't have the backing or funds to prosper or they pick up too many scars on and off the table. There is a lot to gain if you do make that break thro obviously but many fall flat or level off and in a way we as snooker lovers should perhaps be glad we don't have to put ourselves through all that and can just play for enjoyment as casual players - even then we still get frustrated but hey that's snooker-mad game .
      Last edited by Byrom; 25 September 2015, 10:28 PM.

Comment

To be fair the best practice is picking balls out for better players,your routines don't count for nothing if your apponent don't let you play,my little 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
          To be fair the best practice is picking balls out for better players,your routines don't count for nothing if your apponent don't let you play,my little 2 cents worth.
          True playing better players is a good education but if you don't do the practice you will always be the one picking them out.

Comment

I haven't been able to get as much table time as i'd like lately so I've been using the Tuca training device i got from J6 and it's been helping a lot
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
              I haven't been able to get as much table time as i'd like lately so I've been using the Tuca training device i got from J6 and it's been helping a lot
              Really - interesting - in what way does it help - consistency in cueing/timing? Are you feeling more comfy more quickly on the table when you get on one?

Comment

Really - interesting - in what way does it help - consistency in cueing/timing? Are you feeling more comfy more quickly on the table when you get on one?
                I'm finding i'm starting to get less movement on the shot, i use it a little different to J though as i push the cue through further as at first it felt a little jabby
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Turn mobile off -

Routine 1 - Baulk line practice 10 mins - focus

Routine 2 - get fluent - scatter reds on table try n clear up miss a red put two back on miss a colour put it back on spot n carry on

Routine 3 - 100 long balls either side

Brew break

Routine 4 - weakness - work on a particular shot 100 times

Routines 5 T Line up - Pink Cross - the take one ball clear path next red line up thing.

Routine 6 - cluster reds try n make cannons n clear

Cig break - dinner - brew - chat rubbish have a laugh

Routine 7 normal set up couple of reds broke off long red - stun low or high on black smash pack try n clear

Few target driven Routnes from ding ap and barrow thing pass or fail move on mark off

Clear colours 3 times

turn phone back on - get nagged - go home.
                  Looks like a nice varied routing.

How long does the whole routine generally take you?
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Well that ones my full day thing so 6-8 hours with dinner breaks cig breaks brew breaks chucked in to inspire me - phone off no texting or distractions just focused.

I will sort of challenge myself e.g don't have a brew until I made a ton on line up or completed it etc., do another routine and cant have a cig until completed. have to do 100 long balls either side before dinner. Not allowed to leave until I finish the colours three times every session. Something a guy got me doing to stop me getting lazy with practice - idea to treat yourself but push yourself to complete a target before treating yourself to a brew or a cig or something to eat that idea he pinched off the nugget and it works to stop you getting lazy with practice I think as its easy just to start slapping balls around if you don't have the right format.

Sometimes for basic practice for a few hours just pop to the club short sessions I do routine 1 2 and 3 - this usually gets interrupted when someone wants a game I agree but that bugs me when on a practice session like because I like solo practice more than anything else.
                    Sometimes also I just switch on the phone put on the ding ap or the Nik barrow ap and plod on - great aps and I highly recommend.

If you did this targeted practice every day for three hours that really would improve a player 2-3 hours really focused target driven practice every day is much better than 8 hours knocking balls about once a week but like I say maybe I hammer it once a week to keep at a level - I love it - snooker till I die here.

Note* poster on here Tedisbull tried doing something similar with Les and others- he never had the inclination to keep it up don't know if anyone else did - but if he had kept it up and started doing this or something like it for two years - then bang ton-man easy. Trouble is too many loose focus - maybe it helps to be a bit OCD?
                    Last edited by Byrom; 26 September 2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Well that ones my full day thing so 6-8 hours with dinner breaks cig breaks brew breaks chucked in to inspire me - phone off no texting or distractions just focused.

I will sort of challenge myself e.g don't have a brew until I made a ton on line up or completed it etc., do another routine and cant have a cig until completed. have to do 100 long balls either side before dinner. Not allowed to leave until I finish the colours three times every session. Something a guy got me doing to stop me getting lazy with practice - idea to treat yourself but push yourself to complete a target before treating yourself to a brew or a cig or something to eat that idea he pinched off the nugget and it works to stop you getting lazy with practice I think as its easy just to start slapping balls around if you don't have the right format.

Sometimes for basic practice for a few hours just pop to the club short sessions I do routine 1 2 and 3 - this usually gets interrupted when someone wants a game I agree but that bugs me when on a practice session like because I like solo practice more than anything else.
                      Sometimes also I just switch on the phone put on the ding ap or the Nik barrow ap and plod on - great aps and I highly recommend.

If you did this targeted practice every day for three hours that really would improve a player 2-3 hours really focused target driven practice every day is much better than 8 hours knocking balls about once a week but like I say maybe I hammer it once a week to keep at a level - I love it - snooker till I die here.

Note* poster on here Tedisbull tried doing something similar with Les and others- he never had the inclination to keep it up don't know if anyone else did - but if he had kept it up and started doing this or something like it for two years - then bang ton-man easy. Trouble is too many loose focus - maybe it helps to be a bit OCD?
                      Well done mate, like your commitment, it's certainly the way to get better or maintain a high standard I like the bit about rewards for each level, I think I might starve though so it could be life threatening for me.........

Comment

Good Day, Byrom, I have been practicing for 2 years steady, not as disciplined as you but still dont go too long without a couple of hours practice. I had great days where i tought i was Ronnie, Days where It appeared I had just picked up a cue for the first time, then recently all the work is paying off, shots that I never tought i would make consistently are very clear to me, I can see the angle and stroke it well. Its a good feeling, cant wait to see what is next, hopefully some sizeable breaks in match play.... I agree you must stick with it... I also think that my contact lenses are helping allot, its been 2 months now and they are helping....Cheers,
                        Last edited by sharkster63; 27 September 2015, 01:12 AM. Reason: omited an important point....
                        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
                          Good Day, Byrom, I have been practicing for 2 years steady, not as disciplined as you but still dont go too long without a couple of hours practice. I had great days where i tought i was Ronnie, Days where It appeared I had just picked up a cue for the first time, then recently all the work is paying off, shots that I never tought i would make consistently are very clear to me, I can see the angle and stroke it well. Its a good feeling, cant wait to see what is next, hopefully some sizeable breaks in match play.... I agree you must stick with it... I also think that my contact lenses are helping allot, its been 2 months now and they are helping....Cheers,
                          Stick with the lenses if you can.

I used glasses for years and they do have slight deviation in parts and since going to daily disposables I can't use that as an excuse as they are brilliant.

Still gotta pot those balls though so solid practice routines needed all the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X