Balance point, does it matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance point, does it matter?

I see a lot when cues are being discussed that the balance point is so many inches.

Does it really matter or is it more about how it feels to the individual?

I made hundreds of cues in the last 30 years or so and for the first 20 odd years balance point was never mentioned.

Comment

Personally, I find the balance point crucial to the feel of the cue and how it plays over a range of shots. Obviously there are lots of other factors at play, but I would never buy a cue, or have one made, without knowing the exact balance point. So to answer your question, yes it matters, but it is also down to individual preference. There is no right or wrong balance point until you get to extremes.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
        I made hundreds of cues in the last 30 years or so and for the first 20 odd years balance point was never mentioned.
        Although it may not have been requested you must have been conscious of it when adding weight to achieve a well balanced cue?
        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Balance may not seem important until you get a good player who has played with a cue for a long time and has become used to the BP at a certain point.

The general consensus is that a BP of 17" is pretty much the sweet spot for the majority of cues of average weight.

However if you go extremely light or heavy in a cue the BP sometimes cannot be done at that point and so it may be more forward or backwards depending on the weight itself.

Personally I find BP more than 18" can make a cue feel too heavy, even for average weight cues, it can make an 18oz cue feel more like 19-20oz. Similarly a BP around 16" or less can make even an 18oz cue feel like 16oz and it feels like the cue will lift off your bridge hand especially with power shots or when you are playing off or near the cushion.

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
            Although it may not have been requested you must have been conscious of it when adding weight to achieve a well balanced cue?
            Wasn't as important for the ivory balls.

Comment

Thanks it was more curiosity than anything.

Mine has a BP 0f 17.25 and is just shy of 18oz.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                Wasn't as important for the ivory balls.
                what???? you played with them

Comment

Not in the slightest I just stuck some lead in it and everyone sold without a single person asking what the balance point was.

Comment

Not in the slightest I just stuck some lead in it and everyone sold without a single person asking what the balance point was.
                    Refreshingly honest! Lol

Comment

In these days I knew of no other individuals who made cues and no you tube videos on how to do it so I just made it up as I went along. I had a captive audience you either went to a sports shop for a Riley cue or came to me, different days now glad I am retired

Comment

I must admit I think the likes of James Butters have got it right, make it and flog it without worrying about getting the specs spot on. If you like it buy it, if you don't jog on, none of this customer is always right nonesense!

Comment

I must admit I think the likes of James Butters have got it right, make it and flog it without worrying about getting the specs spot on. If you like it buy it, if you don't jog on, none of this customer is always right nonesense!
                          +1. Can't stand those that are so whiny about specs in my club. "Oo, I asked for 9.5mm tip, and this is only 9.47mm. Disappointed with the maker. Blah blah blah"

Comment

Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
                            +1. Can't stand those that are so whiny about spec in my club. "Oo, I asked for 9.5mm tip, and this is only 9.47mm. Disappointed with the maker. Blah blah blah"
                            Plead ignorance and ask them to explain how this affects cue ball reaction, that's always fun.
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

In these days I knew of no other individuals who made cues and no you tube videos on how to do it so I just made it up as I went along. I had a captive audience you either went to a sports shop for a Riley cue or came to me, different days now glad I am retired
                              This forum isn't helping to be honest, far too many know it alls who have never made a cue, and who didn't even do woodwork at school, chipping in with their internet aquired knowledge. Look at how quiet the praise for Jason Owen and Chrispian Jones has gone since thaigate, they could do no wrong before hand, every man and his dog swooning over every sharp stick they made, raising the prices until it got ridiculous and the makers got greedy with thaigate shortcuts to great profits; fair does to Chrispian for his honesty and expose.
                              And Dan Shelton ? what reputation has he got now on this forum.

Yet not one of these experts ever gave praise that their game improved, which is surely what it's all about, yet moaned and bellyached at every JP cue that didn't have millimetre perfect splicing after coughing up £500 + and waiting two years, disregarding the fact that it was they themselves that helped stoke up the prices and extend the waiting times.

Comment

Working...
                              X